Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: GolfForeU2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121144  
Subject: Inherited IRA Distribution Date: 12/27/2000 7:58 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Can anyone shed some light on this situation?

After looking to distribute individual securities out of an inherited IRA(3rd of 5 years), I am now wondering how the year 2001 distribution would be considered with the NEW 5 year capital gains rules.
If the distribution is done after Jan.1,2001, then would the IRS consider it the same as if the stock had been purchased after Jan. 1,2001 ? The income taxes would be paid on the distributed value.
Is it correct that if the stocks are thereafter held for 5 years or more in the taxable account, the difference could be 18% vs. 20% capital gains rate, at a 28% tax bracket???
Thanks!

GolfForeU2
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFExRO Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 43521 of 121144
Subject: Re: Inherited IRA Distribution Date: 12/27/2000 9:47 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
If the distribution is done after Jan.1,2001, then would the IRS consider it the same as if the stock had been purchased after Jan. 1,2001 ? The income taxes would be paid on the distributed value.
Is it correct that if the stocks are thereafter held for 5 years or more in the taxable account, the difference could be 18% vs. 20% capital gains rate, at a 28% tax bracket?

Correct. The holding period for stocks distributed from an IRA begins on the date of distribution.

TMF ExRO
Phil Marti

Author: GolfForeU2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 43525 of 121144
Subject: Re: Inherited IRA Distribution Date: 12/27/2000 10:29 PM
Phil Marti(TMF ExRO),

Thank you for your help!

GolfForeU2

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement