Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: RBMunkin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121603  
Subject: Inherited IRA tax Date: 3/15/2012 2:45 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Hi,
A friend and his brother inherited an IRA from their father. It is stipulated in his will that they must invest the inherited IRA funds and the income would go to his (relatively new) second wife.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that they don't have to pay tax on the inheritance since it is only about $180K ($90K each), right? The threshold above which you have to start paying tax on an inheritance is over a million bucks right?

And what about state tax? First of all, if the father's estate is in Nebraska but the inheritor is in California, it seems to me the income to him is ruled by California tax law. Is that right?
And secondly, do some states actually tax inheritances of this small amount? I don't think California does from what I read.

I Googled around quite a bit but it's very convoluted and complicated!
One thing I found was this: "at the end of 2010, President Obama signed the December 2010 Tax Relief Act. It re-established the federal estate tax at a rate of 35 percent, but with the $5 million exemption. That exemption, by the way, means that only 0.5 percent of all estates in the U.S. will pay any estate taxes at all".

So that sounds like there will be no Federal tax to these guys. Estate tax is Federal, right? But Inheritance tax is a state matter, right?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
RB
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement