Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have an inherited Roth IRA which was created in 2010 by converting a traditional IRA just before I inherited it. The only distribution was the RMD I took in 2011. According to the IRS instructions I don't owe any tax, but I have to fill out form 8606 because I don't meet the 5 year rule. Unfortunately none of the tax software supports this (they have the form, but don't support the entries for inherited IRAs). It seems kind of silly to have to paper file just because I have to put a couple of numbers on a form resulting in a 0. Any ideas on how I can handle this and still e-file? What are the pitfalls if I left off the 8606 since it doesn't affect the amount of tax I owe?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.