UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (50) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: JAFO31 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 126963  
Subject: Re: 30 FRM in the high 2%s... Date: 9/25/2012 12:33 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
inparadise:

<<<Except for consumption of alcohol, in the USA 18 year olds are generally considered adults (age of majority), have aged out of jurisdiction of the juvenile justice system, are old enough to vote (including for President), to sign a contract, to marry, to enlist in the Armed Services, etc.>>>

"We are not talking about decisions in a court here. We are talking about a parent who recognizes that frankly like most adults her 18 year old was not skilled enough in the world of internet finance to understand that by putting her ss# in that spot he was essentially signing her name, that he was not intentionally committing fraud. Heck, I have decades of experience more than he, have done lots of financing and investing and I wouldn't have known it."

I am not so sure about that. You read documents before you sign them. without seeing the screens that the son saw (and the text that was on those screens) I am not so sure how you can conclude that you would not have known.

Just because the letter of the law lets them do something does not make it right. We should have learned this from the mortgage debacle. Stop hiding behind your law books."

I am not hiding behind my law books, or I would not have previously written in this thread:

I do not diagree with the suggest[ion] that she seek counsel, and I have no idea whether the lender is correct in its argument, which is why I agree with the advice to seek counsel.

As another poster noted, there are several possibile explanations, some of which include inadvertent error, but not exclusively, and that without more information, the lender's position is not necessarily pie in the sky (though it may turn out to be so).

Regards, JAFO
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (50) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
Buying/Selling a Home FAQ

Mortgage Professor
Offsite resource for mortgage questions.
2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement