UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (50) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: JAFO31 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 127236  
Subject: Re: 30 FRM in the high 2%s... Date: 9/24/2012 7:33 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
inparadise:

<<<Yes. Yes. We are not discussing little children. We are discussing HS seniors or older, most commonly age 17 or 18 (a legal adult), with the occasional exception for those students more than 2 years ahead of chronological grade level.>>>

"JAFO, your concept of children that age is so ludicrous I won't even bother debating you."

Except for consumption of alcohol, in the USA 18 year olds are generally considered adults (age of majority), have aged out of jurisdiction of the juvenile justice system, are old enough to vote (including for President), to sign a contract, to marry, to enlist in the Armed Services, etc.

I suggest that my thinking is more in line with the current legal system than yours appears to be (at least by my inference) because you seemed to be suggesting that 18 year olds still require coddling like they are 2-6 years old.

Short-sighted, I want it now know and who cares about the details thinking is not solely the domain of 18-20 year olds. I woudl suggest that many that LAYM suffer from the same thinking, often until death.

Student loan papers are typically executed in the spring of a HS student's senior year or the summer after graduating from HS and ebfore matriculating at his/her college or university of choice. I do no have the data handy, but I am confident that by the time in question most are at least 18 years old, and that most of the balance are at least 17 years old (subject to the caveat previously noted).

You may certainly choose not discuss or debate with me, but sugggesting that my position is ludicrous is folly of the highest order and even more ludicrous than you suggest my position to be.

If you want to have a debate about the age of majority, feel free, but I see little point in that argument, too, because it would be a severe limitation on, and regression in, rights for 18-20 year olds and one I see little likelihood of changing.

Regards, JAFO
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (50) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
Buying/Selling a Home FAQ

Mortgage Professor
Offsite resource for mortgage questions.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement