Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi. I am working on my handicapped brother's taxes. He is handicapped from a car accident over 30 years ago. He gets a monthly check from the other's driver's insurance company. (We call this his "settlement check.") He also gets a social security disability check each month. These 2 items are his only income. I think he is on the border of having to file income taxes with the IRS. Can anyone tell me:

1.) What is the limit he can make and not have to file taxes for 2016? (I find the limit for 2015 when I do a Google search) The limit for 2015 was $10,300.

2.) Do both of these things count toward his income? (The settlement check and the SS disability check?)

3.) If these 2 things are over the limit by which he has to file, then I would just file an EZ form for him? Or which form?

Thanks for your help!
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.