UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 189600  
Subject: Insufficient Thanks Date: 6/6/2005 8:04 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 65
A recent thread (I mention no names and make no charges, but think "certificates") has brought to my mind the wonderful help provided by the computer savy on this board. I hope I speak for most of us when I offer a pitiful "Thank You" for your help.

Phil
Print the post Back To Top
Author: klash Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 94544 of 189600
Subject: Re: Insufficient Thanks Date: 6/6/2005 8:09 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
think "certificates"

You know, it could be something as simple as the date on his computer being wrong.

I think it best, however, to leave him to his own devices - however inadequate they might be.

Klash,
not always helpful...

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 94550 of 189600
Subject: Re: Insufficient Thanks Date: 6/6/2005 8:49 PM
Recommendations: 3
I can't know why the poster would comment "Good grief. I'm talking about going onto Ebay, not some website belonging to Joachim of the Azores. The system should not make me go through a bunch of warning windows going onto Ebay. Comprende vous?" to Grue's post - Good grief, to my understanding, Grue's been seriously involved in computer security work for... well we won't go into how L O N G (and, hence, how O L D Grue *might* be. ;-) I do believe computer security is Grue's forte, at least one of them.

A simple thank you is always appreciated. Though I don't recall helping you, specifically, Phil, on behalf of those who have helped you here, thank you, for the thank you, sir!

Regards,

Bob

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 94551 of 189600
Subject: Re: Insufficient Thanks Date: 6/6/2005 8:51 PM
Recommendations: 1
well we won't go into how L O N G

I think it has something to do with the age of dirt, but I couldn't be sure.

Phil

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 94559 of 189600
Subject: Re: Insufficient Thanks Date: 6/6/2005 11:25 PM

Phil

We can order a carbon 14 test on Grue, if you have doubts. ;-)

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 94560 of 189600
Subject: Re: Insufficient Thanks Date: 6/6/2005 11:59 PM
Grue is no, shall we say, Spring fool, I'm sure. ;-)

http://www.themotleyfools.com/Grue22.php

just my .o2

Author: gridert Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 94563 of 189600
Subject: Re: Insufficient Thanks Date: 6/7/2005 12:41 AM
Recommendations: 4
http://www.themotleyfools.com/Grue22.php

In that picture is a 3 wheel Enigma. Looks like the commercial version to me. Don't ask me how I know this.

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 94565 of 189600
Subject: Re: Insufficient Thanks Date: 6/7/2005 1:10 AM
Recommendations: 2
The Enigma was an electro-mechanical cypher machine used for both encryption and decryption, widely used in various forms by most German military forces. Ease of use and the supposedly unbreakable cypher were the main reasons for its widespread use. The cypher was in fact broken, and the reading of information in the messages it didn't protect is generally credited with ending World War II at least a year earlier than it would have otherwise... but I could be wrong...

and don't ask me how I know. ;-)

Author: TeraGram Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 94579 of 189600
Subject: Re: Insufficient Thanks Date: 6/7/2005 9:54 AM
Even though I haven't posted here asking for help and even though I have attempted to help now and again, I'd like to add my great big

T H A N K
Y O U

to everyone here who contributes, questioners and answerers alike. I read most everything on this board and have gleaned a lot of information from it. Once upon a time I w*rked for a living and my troubleshooting skills were used regularly. Now I'm a SAHM and I can feel parts of my knowledge dropping away like the cliffs of Laguna Hills. Reading here is helping slow the corrosion.

So, again, Thank You.

Author: justkaron One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 94580 of 189600
Subject: Re: Insufficient Thanks Date: 6/7/2005 10:14 AM
>>I hope I speak for most of us when I offer a pitiful "Thank You" for your help.<<

And may I add, ABSOLUTELY!!! I've gotten so much help when I've asked for it, and by reading other's posts, and the answers to them, vicarious help. This board and its posters (well, with a possible exception who shall not be named) is the best.

My thanks as well.

Karon

Author: daFlufferNut Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 94599 of 189600
Subject: Re: Insufficient Thanks Date: 6/7/2005 3:14 PM
couldn't agree more.
Sometimes they've helped me without my even posting my question (reading faq and prior posts)

Heck, I tried to nominate the board for the Feste, but was told there were too many of them

Fluff

Author: Anibaldo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 94600 of 189600
Subject: Re: Insufficient Thanks Date: 6/7/2005 3:48 PM
For me personally, HWTSC is without any doubt the most helpful board at TMF. Whenever I had a question, however stupid it turned out to be, HTWSC people were always there to assist me in a friendly way.

Thank you

Abe

Author: grue22 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 94602 of 189600
Subject: Re: Insufficient Thanks Date: 6/7/2005 3:56 PM
Recommendations: 8

Phil

We can order a carbon 14 test on Grue, if you have doubts. ;-)

LOL!

Back when I was a kid, all we had were rocks.
You should appreciate those of us who worked on the project to develop dirt. ;o)

Grue

Author: grue22 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 94614 of 189600
Subject: Re: Insufficient Thanks Date: 6/7/2005 4:23 PM
In that picture is a 3 wheel Enigma. Looks like the commercial version to me. Don't ask me how I know this.

It is indeed a 3 wheel Enigma, but it was an Abwehr version instead of a commercial version. It still has the army markings on it. Somewhere I have the history on this particular machine. It's currently in a private museum here in Vienna.

I don't think the commercial version had the Steckerbord on it.

Grue

Author: grue22 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 94619 of 189600
Subject: Re: Insufficient Thanks Date: 6/7/2005 4:38 PM
I do believe computer security is Grue's forte, at least one of them.

Most of my job skills could get me arrested, but I have a lot of fun. ;o)

Unfortunately, I've been too busy lately to spend much time on this board, but I'd like to thank those who contribute their time here. I've learned a lot from you.

Grue

Author: grue22 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 94655 of 189600
Subject: Re: Insufficient Thanks Date: 6/7/2005 11:06 PM
You know, it could be something as simple as the date on his computer being wrong.

Yes, it could be something completely benign, and I hope for his sake that it was.

However, if I had gotten the errors that he was seeing, red flags would have been flying all over the place. I'd assume that there was a serious problem until I could prove otherwise.

Grue

Author: Springtex Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 95200 of 189600
Subject: Re: Insufficient Thanks Date: 6/17/2005 2:45 AM
<<You know, it could be something as simple as the date on his computer being wrong.

Yes, it could be something completely benign, and I hope for his sake that it was.

However, if I had gotten the errors that he was seeing, red flags would have been flying all over the place. I'd assume that there was a serious problem until I could prove otherwise.

Grue
>>

It just keeps going on and on here, doesn't it? I see that no less than a TMF started this thread with a little backbiting cheap shot ("mentioning no names and making no charges"--sure). Then somebody chimed in who can't get over his complete revulsion about somebody having started a sentence with the words "Good grief". In high-tech lingo, are those two little words code for something really, really obscene? In 60 years on Earth, I have never met anyone who thought so--until, apparently, now. I suspect the late Charles Schultz must be spinning in his grave.

Good grief.

/s/ S.T.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement