UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: bacon Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76082  
Subject: Insurance Date: 8/17/1997 7:22 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I said this awhile ago in the Managing Your Portfolio board, and I'll offer the same two cents here, since there has been some recent discussion on what is the best insurance to buy.

IMHO, I like the odds the insurance companies are betting they won't have to pay off because I was careless enough to actually die. That's how they make their money. I would rather take all my insurance premium and invest it then use it to buy life insurance of any sort. Sure, that leaves you nekkid if that disaster occurs, and you may feel more comfortable with something like term life until your investments have grown to the value of that policy, but your investments will grow faster if you're investing all of your money rather than diluting some of it into insurance. I believe the same applies to health insurance--the odds against my being catastrophically sick don't support my spending any money on health insurance. Empirical data on the latter: my wife had two catastrophic surgeries last year that still cost us, in their aggregate, less out of pocket than the accumulated insurance premiums would have.

I think there are really two questions to answer on deciding whether anyone wants to buy insurance:

-what's your comfort level for living without insurance until your investments have grown to your proposed insurance policy level, in this society where you're taught that not only is insurance actually a government entitlement, but you have a personal obligation, as well, to pay money and own same;

-what, exactly, are you insuring: your mortgage so your spouse won't be left bereft if you die and the loan is called? College tuition? etc? If you do buy insurance (a personal choice, despite my attitude above), it certainly should not be for more than the total of those kinds of target coverages.

Again, just my thoughts

Eric Hines

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement