UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: NoMetal Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 17880  
Subject: Insurance Claim Help Needed Date: 10/6/2008 10:20 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Some background, so please bear with me. Brand new car, 4 weeks old with just 430 miles on it, got rear-ended. Driver found at fault by police. Her insurance (I have a different insurance company) agrees to pay for repairs and car-rental but not at first. They had to talk to the driver before they authorized anything. I talked to them every day for five days straight and they could not reach the driver (her father-in-law owned the vehicle and the policy but they could not reach her). I had to track down her cell number and give it to them before they were able to reach her. Finally approved everything including the rental I had to get on the first day since I needed to get to work. Had car rental for three weeks while car was in shop.

Today, I got a flat tire on the rental during lunch and needed to get back to work so I changed the tire myself. Since I was told the insurance company was only going to pay for it at their rate and nothing additional, I waived all optional insurance coverage by the rental place. I would not get reimbursed for those fees. After work, was able to get my car back from shop. So I go to drop off the rental. We can see the flat tire has a screw in it that penetrated the sidewall so the tire will need to be replaced. Rental car says I have to pay for it. It is an expensive tire to replace, ~$120+.

I called my insurance company and they suggested I talk to the other insurance company. I called the insurance company paying for the rental and repairs. They said they won't pay for the tire replacement although they were paying for the rental, and that I should go through my insurance. Of course, if I go through my insurance company I have a deductible to pay so basically it has to come out of my pocket.

I explained to the other insurance that I feel they should pay. If it was not for the fact that their policy holder caused the accident, I would not have needed the rental and thus not had to pay for a new tire on a rental. If it was my vehicle, then yes, I would pay but I would have a tire to show for it and the tires I purchase for my vehicles have road hazard warranty. I do not carry that through my insurance because of that. They refused to pay.

I am going to check back with my insurance company tomorrow to see if they have any additional thoughts but I was wondering if I have any recourse to get the other insurance company to pay (State of Arkansas, other insurance company is State Farm). While I know this flat is no ones fault, I feel that I am taking on an expense that although indirectly related to the original accident, would had not occur if it were not for the accident (having to get a rental).

Please help. I know $120 may not seem much to some but to me it is and I have already spent several weeks dealing with State Farm and getting my vehicle repaired. I am very frustrated ever since this accident occurred. The only good thing so far is that the collision repair shop did a good job on fixing it and I finally have my not-so-new-anymore car back.

Thanks,
-NoMetal
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement