UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: JustMee01 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 3913  
Subject: Insurance Float determination? Date: 3/2/2012 9:51 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I’m trying to get a handle on how to determine an insurer’s float from their balance sheet. I’ve come across explanations of BH’s float determination from the balance sheet. I’m wondering how to get these numbers for another insurer using Aflac as an example. Aflac’s consolidated balance sheet is actually fairly simple (numbers in millions of USD):

Assets:

Total investments & cash $103,462
Receivables $680
Accrued investment income $802
Deferred policy acquisition cost $10,654
PP&E $617
Other $887
Total assets $117,102

Liabilities:

Policy liabilities:
Future Policy benefits $79,278
Unpaid policy claims $3,981
Unearned premiums $1,704
Other policyholders funds $9,630
Total policy liabilities $94,593
Notes Payable $3,285
Income taxes $2,613
Payables for return of cash collateral $838
Other $2,267
Total Liabilities $103,596

Total shareholder’s equity $13,506

As I understand insurance float, it’s essentially policyholders’ net future benefits and claims, less any of those claims not yet collected in cash. Off this balance sheet, that lines up as follows:

Total policy liabilities (future policy benefits,
Unpaid claims, unearned premiums,
Other policyholders’ funds) $94,593
Less:
Receivables $680
Deferred policy acquisition costs $10,654

For a total of $83,259 of insurance float. That’s a very large number. I was surprised that Aflac’s float would exceed Berkshire-Hathaway’s. It’s much bigger than I expected given their current market cap of $22B.

Am I calculating this correctly?

Thanks for any help,

Peter
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Not Cheering the Shire Deal
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement