Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: 1971simon Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 63935  
Subject: Intel Date: 12/3/2012 2:20 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Because I mentioned it...

Mobile devices and computing are a bit of a game changer.

Mobile devices have the operating system built into the processor. Intel has not perfected that more concerned with putting the integrated graphics chip on the motherboard so that they sell the whole shebang when it comes to work PCs. The problem is that the standard work PC is way overpowered for what the software needs now so they are becoming a commodity.

Microsoft is trying to help things by introducing Windows 8 which changes the PC into a large tablet. But while I don't mind paw marks on my iPad (which I can wipe off easily), taking a damn cloth to my monitor seems wrong. Also Win8 came out relatively shortly after Win7. Win7 was the true successor to XP - which was 10 years old at that point.

I don't think Win8 stands a snowballs chance in hell of getting any traction.

Back to Intel. They can make money on PCs. The problem is the market is always looking for massive growth from these sorts of companies. I think Intel has missed the boat on mobile computing being their boat.

Simon
Print the post Back To Top
Author: tengen Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63091 of 63935
Subject: Re: Intel Date: 12/3/2012 1:11 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Some random thoughts on Intel:

The PC era is over, it's now the mobile era.

Intel is definitely late to the game for mobile computing but I wouldn't count them out just yet.

Intel trading under $20 seems quite interesting and worthy of further investigation.

Author: tim443 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63092 of 63935
Subject: Re: Intel Date: 12/3/2012 1:23 PM
The PC era is over, it's now the mobile era.

I keep hearing that as a mantra yet everyone I know who has 'mobile' also has a PC or two?

What I think is over is the need to upgrade your PC every 3-4 years as the last batch seem more reliable and the need for increasing RAM and hard drives is not growing nearly as fast due to cloud and high speed internet connections?

Tim

Author: tengen Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63093 of 63935
Subject: Re: Intel Date: 12/3/2012 6:03 PM
Recommendations: 1
A place I used to work leased all of its desktop PCs and they had a 3 year replacement cycle. I think they've extended that to 4 years and I'd be willing to bet they'll extend it to 5 in the not too distant future.

In my magic crystal ball (guaranteed to be 50% correct on yes/no questions), I see PC sales going flat while smart phones become as common as wristwatches. I can also see a lot of people buying a tablet instead of a second PC or even instead of a first PC. I see wireless computing devices built into home appliances, I see my boss coming to tell me to get back to work.

Author: IKan Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63094 of 63935
Subject: Re: Intel Date: 12/3/2012 6:55 PM
I see wireless computing devices built into home appliances

I read on the weekend of a fridge coming to N.A. in 2013 that does just that. It will know the contents within the fridge and recommend meals and send you a grocery list.

But no, it does not prepare and cook it for us. Yet!

IKan, see the rice cake healthy recipes already. Hahaha

Author: IKan Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63095 of 63935
Subject: Re: Intel Date: 12/4/2012 11:15 AM
Microsoft is supposed to be releasing a new 10? Inch tablet in the next month or 2 that will fun the full version of Windows 8.

This may add fuel to the idea that pc's as we know them may be a tad closer to extinction for the average, or most, retail user in the near future.

IKan

Author: ByrneShill Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63096 of 63935
Subject: Re: Intel Date: 12/5/2012 4:33 PM
Recommendations: 4
Guys:
1- Windows 8 works on both tablets and PCs. Those of us who have used it for a few hours (or more) got comfortable with it really fast. It is actually kinda nice with the tiles in the background. There is no OS like Win8 anywhere. My hunch is that it's gonna be a home run with the younger generations, but the oldies will adopt it too.

MS has a tablet with a dumbed-down version of Win8 and will release the full version in january I think. I'm definitely an android guy, but I'll definitely try the new surface when it comes out.

2-Everyone keeps saying how CPU power isn't important now that everything is in "the cloud", but they keep forgetting that nothing is magic. You device actually has to run the code, even if it is downloaded from a remote server and doesn't reside on your device. Most people also forget that "the cloud" is really just a bunch of datacenters with, you guessed it, mostly intel CPUs.

The biggest cost as far as datacenter goes is energy. The CPUs burn a lot, and you need to cool that thing down. So a powerfull CPU with low power consumption is really your best asset as far as cloud computing goes. Guess which processors deliver the best computing power/KW ? Yep, Intel's latest line.

3-As far as PCs goes, maybe the consumer market will move towards tablets a bit, I myself prefer my laptop at home (intel still provides the best CPUs for laptops). But there's no way I'd ever work on a tiny 10 inches screen. I'm a programmer and I spend 8+ hours/day behind my screen, and I currently use a dual 23 inches display setup. I'm fairly certain a lot of people are like me. Anyone who program computers or uses CAD tools on a daily basis can't get enough of "real estate". And for us, nailed to our desk, keeping a big desktop box is no problem, it's not like we're gonna move those giant monitors anyway.

There is still a big market for x64 chipsets. Maybe desktop sales will go down quite a bit, but there's just no way laptops, desktops and datacenters vanish into thin air in a near future. And Intel is still way ahead in all those categories.

Author: IKan Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63097 of 63935
Subject: Re: Intel Date: 12/5/2012 6:20 PM
ByrneShill,

Thanx for the information and insight from someone (you) who has more experience and knowledge on this than I do.

IKan

Author: tecmo Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63099 of 63935
Subject: Re: Intel Date: 12/6/2012 9:03 AM
I have a Surface and have been using it for a few weeks. I have shown it to others in the office and the reviews are generally positive. It is amazing how many people in the office are disatified with their iPads.

The comment I hear is that the iPad is a bigger phone, but what people really want is a smaller laptop. If this sentiment is previlant in the wider market then Windows 8 will be a big hit.

As for Intel, one thing to keep in mind is that you can view them as both an Design and a Manufacturing company. Yes they may not be the leader on the design side anymore (although that position could change); they definately are the leader in manufacturing; and that position will be MUCH more difficult to change given the capital investment required.

I have been adding to my MSFT position lately; but not INTC (although I may consider it). MSFT is trading at a VERY low valuation and you get a yield better than what a bond pays. I think MSFT is less risky and paying better than bonds; this is unique time in the market!

tecmo

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement