No. of Recommendations: 1
intercst,

Thank you for the link and the correction of my spelling.

I agree that inflation is not something one should ignore, and I wasn't planning on it. That doesn't mean that what I am thinking is actually taking it into account properly - I just didn't want that to be the discussion of this post, but I'll tell you what I was thinking anyway.

I was wondering how the numbers might turn out if one were to invest a certain amount of money (more than the person lives on during the same year) every year into an investment that was relatively safe - meaning their principal will most likely remain intact. Every year that they make an addition to this investment they first contribute whatever is necessary to bring the prior years balance back up to it's original principal (which hopefully this will be a minimal amount) and then make an "inflation adjusted" contribution (the contribution of the first year plus inflation). I am wondering that if someone had this much available cash would they then have however many years they invested this way less one year (the goal of this theory) available to retire on?

Assuming this theory is right there would need to be a relatively safe investment like I asked.

Thanks again for your input and go ahead and tell me I don't have a clue what I'm talking about if that is how you believe, just if you could be so kind as to explain why I'd greatly appreciate it.

e
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement