UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 59166  
Subject: intercst - the carbon sinner Date: 1/28/2013 10:22 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Now, with President Obama’s promise in his Inaugural Address that dealing with climate change is part of his second-term agenda, all eyes are on the United States. The United Nations’ International Civil Aviation Organization is convening a multinational meeting in September on the airlines issue, one of the thorniest in climate change.

For many people reading this, air travel is their most serious environmental sin. One round-trip flight from New York to Europe or to San Francisco creates about 2 or 3 tons of carbon dioxide per person. The average American generates about 19 tons of carbon dioxide a year; the average European, 10.

So if you take five long flights a year, they may well account for three-quarters of the emissions you create. And for people like Al Gore or Richard Branson who crisscross the world, often by private jet, proclaiming their devotion to the environment.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/27/sunday-review/the-biggest-...

--

I think all liberals should immediately be charged $100 per flight segment for 'carbon six tax'. Liberals should pay $250 per cruise as a 'carbon six tax', and should not be allowed to drive a car weighing more than 2100 lbs, and only one of them, not have a boat, yacht, private plane, or gas powered lawn mower.......Let them set the example by doing. We'd register all liberals in a database so we could tax them appropriately

Anyone working for the NY Times should pay double, or triple, just to show their 'dedication'.

A NYT article, of course..as you note....

t
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47506 of 59166
Subject: Re: intercst - the carbon sinner Date: 1/28/2013 3:56 PM
Recommendations: 1
Heh, heh! of course intercst has historically DENIED that he uses any fuel when he jets about the world on his various travels --- it's always someone else consuming fuel.

Tele makes a interesting point about American liberals traveling about the world where most people are smoking like chimneys. You'd think these people would be staying home to avoid second hand smoke, but no................................!

Seattle Pioneer

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47507 of 59166
Subject: Re: intercst - the carbon sinner Date: 1/28/2013 5:35 PM
Recommendations: 4
American liberals traveling about the world

Conservative businessmen don't travel about the world--they beam over! Not to mention conservative workers, vacationers, retirees, Biblical trips to Israel, mission trips to darkest Africa--those conservatives must be paddling abroad in their kayaks.

Author: sykesix Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47508 of 59166
Subject: Re: intercst - the carbon sinner Date: 1/28/2013 5:36 PM
Recommendations: 21
Tele makes a interesting point about American liberals traveling about the world where most people are smoking like chimneys. You'd think these people would be staying home to avoid second hand smoke, but no.

Mitt Romney is a Mormon and doesn't smoke, yes this issue doesn't prevent him from traveling to places like Switzerland and the Caymans to do his banking.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47509 of 59166
Subject: Re: intercst - the carbon sinner Date: 1/28/2013 7:58 PM
Recommendations: 3
alstro:"Conservative businessmen don't travel about the world--they beam over! Not to mention conservative workers, vacationers, retirees, Biblical trips to Israel, mission trips to darkest Africa--those conservatives must be paddling abroad in their kayaks. "

Actually, they fly, but they aren't pompous idiots declaring everyone should go back to 1820s iiving standards (no fossil fuels) except, of course, them!.....

Like Al Gore and his ilk.....a million miles a year in his private jets telling us how we have to use less carbon based fuels!......the hypocrisy.

t.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47510 of 59166
Subject: Re: intercst - the carbon sinner Date: 1/28/2013 8:01 PM
Recommendations: 0
skyesix:"Mitt Romney is a Mormon and doesn't smoke, yes this issue doesn't prevent him from traveling to places like Switzerland and the Caymans to do his banking. "

Only a blathering backwoods idiot would make a post like that.

ANy other person in the 21st century would simply use their mouse to click and transfer LEGAL money to Switzerland and the Cayman Islands....where some of his corporations did business.

YOu don't think that COke and Pepsi and Google and Apple have local bank accounts in Shanghai, Bangkok, Tokyo, the Caymans, Ireland, GErmany and elsewhere?

And you've been watching too many spy thrillers. No one schelps suitcases full of diamonds and 100 dollar bills around, other than drug dealers...you know, folks like Obama during his college days.....

t.

Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47862 of 59166
Subject: Re: intercst - the carbon sinner Date: 2/10/2013 11:06 PM
Recommendations: 5
<<1 passenger, flying one way from NEW YORK, USA (JFK) to SAN FRANCISCO, USA (SFO) ( 4,149 Km ), in Economy Class, generates about 337.26 Kg of CO2>> See: http://www2.icao.int/en/carbonoffset/Pages/default.aspx

I do not believe that 327.26 kg is equal to "two or three tons". Tele, before you spout off at the mouth, please research. You know, Google is your friend.

Likewise, 1 ton equals 907.18474 kg. See: http://www.asknumbers.com/tonnes-to-kilograms.aspx

Therefore, it appears to me that the one-way trip from JFK to San Francisco would take a little over 1/3 ton of carbon emissions, a far cry from your claim.

Donna

Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47863 of 59166
Subject: Re: intercst - the carbon sinner Date: 2/10/2013 11:07 PM
Recommendations: 1
SP, see my reply to Tele, post number 49476. He is full of hot air.

Donna

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47870 of 59166
Subject: Re: intercst - the carbon sinner Date: 2/11/2013 3:41 PM
Recommendations: 3
<<<<1 passenger, flying one way from NEW YORK, USA (JFK) to SAN FRANCISCO, USA (SFO) ( 4,149 Km ), in Economy Class, generates about 337.26 Kg of CO2>> See: http://www2.icao.int/en/carbonoffset/Pages/default.aspx

I do not believe that 327.26 kg is equal to "two or three tons". Tele, before you spout off at the mouth, please research. You know, Google is your friend.

>>

MORE THAN 600 POUNDS OF CO2! That seems like a LOT to me, especially when it's used for frivolous personal entertainment.

If my liberal friends had sworn off their addiction to travel as a personal indulgence, I would take the concern they claim about global warming more seriously.

When they use excuses to deny their responsibility and avoid dealing with the issue, I take the3 whiole thing a LOT less seriously.

Let's see --- what do they call it when you preach one thing and do another?

Seattle Pioneer

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement