No. of Recommendations: 2
intercst writes...

Actually we're all "living off of others".

The business man who needs roads to get his product to the consumer, or qualified employees who were educated in the public schools and colleges is "living off" the taxpayers who funded the roads and built the schools.

This activity, and hundreds of other such activities, are designed to generate increase business activity and from this, increase tax and use revenues ===> increased public capital expenditure. Not terribly efficient, but effective.

Military members and retirees are "living off" the taxpayers who've funded a military/industrial complex that's more expensive than the next 7 highest spending countries, combined!

Yes, this is a cost of our freedom. Where would we and the allies for whom we provide much of their security, be today as a nation if this were not provided

If you're over 65 and on Medicare, your FICA contributions over the years cover only a fraction of the $14,000 per year spent on the average beneficiary.

A fraction? Hmmmm. Medicare A is fully funded, at least until 2034 (or thereabouts) from the Part A Trust fund. Part B is at least 25% funded by its users, although I suspect this is going up. What I paid/pay is much more than a 'fraction'.

In the case of Obamacare, the internet (invented by Gov't funded DARPA) has provided middle-class people with enough information to do the kind of tax planning once reserved for the robber barons and hedge fund operators.

Ahhh, the power of rationalizing. They got it, so now its my turn! Sounds good! How about some welfare planning. It sounds like you might qualify. Wring as much out of the system as you can.

I'm glad I'm finally getting a seat the gravy train. <LOL>

I wish you well. Sounds like you've earned it!

Print the post  

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.