UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: jpkiljan One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 745942  
Subject: Re: Japan/Bonds/It Can't Happen Here? Date: 3/27/2000 2:40 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
intercst wrote:

[ Can the average Japanese person invest in mutual funds and stocks in the United States? Could be a
bonanza for us if they can. - Art ]

Yes they can. The parts of the article that I "snipped out" described what the big investment houses like
Fidelity and Morgan Stanley are doing to sell their wares in the Japanese market.

However, I suspect few Japanese will venture overseas with their funds. As a group, the Japanese are
probably even less interested in International investing than Americans.

intercst

Perhaps not in the future. I have heard that the Japanese are big investors in US bonds because of their own low interest rates. I also recall that when they were flush with cash in the 80's they were investing heavily in real estate and collectibles in the world markets. When their equities markets started to dive in the early 90's, I remember reading some very weird stories about how equities had been frequently sold door-to-door Amway/Tupperware style. The story line was that the people placed a lot of value on personal trust as a part of a business relationship and that was the way to sell equities in those countries. After 10 years of falling markets and a lot of Japanese investors feeling let down by the people who sold them stocks in the past, and by the huge gains in Europe and the US, they may now be willing to take a fresh look at those international equities markets.

Fidelity and MS may have the right idea. Time will tell.

-- John
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

My Big Fat Greek Splat
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement