UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: reallykool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 128014  
Subject: interest in escrow accounts Date: 4/27/2001 10:53 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
the escrow company i'm going with wants $50 in order to give my 3% on
my account. since i'm going to be paying taxes of about $1700 a year,
is it really worth it?? can they actually charge me that much in the first place.

also, since its an investment expense, can i deduct next yr on my tax return???
Print the post Back To Top
Author: JABoa Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19834 of 128014
Subject: Re: interest in escrow accounts Date: 4/27/2001 11:57 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
In Massachusetts, that $50 is the fee they are allowed to charge you to set up an escrow account that pays interest. If they compelled you to pay into an escrow account that did not pay interest, no fee.

Given that your average balance will probably be $600 or so, they are golden by paying you a pittance in interest (frankly I am surprised they will offer 3% when savings accounts are paying 1.2%) and getting the fee up front.

It is not an investment expense. But it is a closing cost and adds to your cost basis if tax on sale becomes an issue.

Everyone agrees that if you can get out of paying into bank escrow accounts, you should. But, that may be a condition of getting the loan so maybe you can't.

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement