Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: EMJ Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 38  
Subject: Interest in Rhone Poulenc? Date: 9/13/1997 2:01 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I am wondering if anybody else is interested in Rhone Poulenc. I became aware of this stock from John Dessauer's Investor's World. Anybody have any comments?

In today's news: The U.S. Federal Trade Commission said it had approved the application of Novartis AG and CHIRON CORP to license certain gene therapy technologies to RHONE POULENC RORER INC. Licensing of the technology is required under an April 1997 consent order settling charges that the merger of Ciba-Geigy and Sandoz to form Novartis would reduce competition in the gene therapies for cancer and other diseases. "The licensing requirement is designed to restore competition for the development and commercialization of gene therapy treatments for cancer and (other diseases)," the FTC said in a statement.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: KissAFool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5 of 38
Subject: Re: Interest in Rhone Poulenc? Date: 9/19/1997 10:27 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I am also watching RP based on Dessauer's newsletter. I did not buy, but could have made money on several dips and upswings in the past month. Dessauer is a buy and hold strategist, and is looking for large gains over the long term with RP. He is right, in my opinion, but most of his picks are also good short-term plays for a couple of points. One big success so far has been Ericson. He recommended it at around 30 last spring. I bought at 35, sold at 46 in July. Just curious, what has your experience been with Dessauer's picks?

Author: gbb Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6 of 38
Subject: Re: Interest in Rhone Poulenc? Date: 9/24/1997 3:36 PM
Up over 50% this year with Dessauer's stocks. His stocks are a good balance to a portfolio since many are solid international companies. Perhaps not necessarily Foolish if you don't have time to pick apart every company in your portfolio. He does recommend buys & sells unlike the Motley folks. Also a good balance since many of his stocks are not tech stocks.
Only time will tell.

GBB

Author: tridacna Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7 of 38
Subject: Re: Interest in Rhone Poulenc? Date: 9/29/1997 2:27 PM
John Dessauer is one of a select group of intelligent and competent newsletter writers. I've been a subscriber for almost two years now, and his track record has been excellent. His newletter is already my best investment.

His international experience with Citibank in the '70s shows through his insightful macro view of the world economy. I've attended his presentations (Houston in May) and regularly phone in to his twice weekly taped commentary. There is always clarity and fundamental basis to his pronouncements, with no hype and wishful thinking.

As for RP, look into Monsanto as a case study for striking parallels. Both are/have shifted away from commodity chemicals towards high margin pharmaceuticals/agri-tech. RP is undergoing a transformation that will take another 2 years to fully unfold. It will be a world class, top 10 pharmaceuticals/life sciences company by that time, with a strong product pipeline and premier positions in areas such as vaccine.

Consider the direction of global demographics, and as usual, JDessauer's strategic thinking shines through again.

Author: lynle Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14 of 38
Subject: Re: Interest in Rhone Poulenc? Date: 2/5/1998 5:42 PM
As an Investors World subscriber, I've acted on some of the advice provided in the newsletter and have done been pretty happy with results. I too bought ERICY (below $20) and decided to sell - used proceeds to buy RP. It's cookin' and doing well. I believe RP is very good for the long term and bought it as a buy & hold. Obviously its prudent to satisfy yourself with other detailed information to back up the Dessauer/MacIntyre tips - but, those guys do their homework!

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement