UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: hiddenflem Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 73769  
Subject: Interesting article on investing in innovation Date: 11/8/2012 7:52 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/04/business/a-capitalists-dil...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: captainccs Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 65419 of 73769
Subject: Re: Interesting article on investing in innovati Date: 11/8/2012 9:03 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Professor Christensen's conclusion (one of them but an important one):

We must give the wealthiest an incentive to invest for the long term. This can create growth.

Translation: don't make foie gras with the goose that lays the golden eggs -- if you want golden eggs.

Denny Schlesinger

Author: rubberthinking Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 65421 of 73769
Subject: Re: Interesting article on investing in innovati Date: 11/8/2012 9:09 AM
Recommendations: 1
We must give the wealthiest an incentive to invest for the long term. This can create growth.

Translation: don't make foie gras with the goose that lays the golden eggs -- if you want golden eggs.

Denny Schlesinger

hey listen I am just of the peasant stock.....I wont get the golden eggs either way.....I just want eggs......as for foie gras that was always highly unethical......

Dave....thinking of reporting Denny to the humane society......

Author: tamhas Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 65425 of 73769
Subject: Re: Interesting article on investing in innovati Date: 11/8/2012 10:48 AM
Recommendations: 0
It was, indeed, an interesting article ... not surprising, considering the source ... but I think it is another case of someone wandering outside their area of expertise when he gets to taxation. A regressive (in terms of age) capital gains tax is going to do little to encourage the right kind of investment. The real issue at this point is that we are giving people the benefit of the long term capital gains tax in exchange for them investing money in vehicles like traded stock that do nothing to provide money to businesses. If the capital gains incentive were limited to investments which actually went into business, then it might mean something.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement