Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: mjdonadio Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 96361  
Subject: Interesting fact for week 8 Date: 10/30/2007 3:25 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I believe Favre became the third QB this weekend to record a win against 31 other teams.

Quite a coincidence to be accomplished in the same weekend.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ramsfanray Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63557 of 96361
Subject: Re: Interesting fact for week 8 Date: 10/30/2007 3:27 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I remember that was mentioned during the Carolina game.

Author: ziggy29 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63558 of 96361
Subject: Re: Interesting fact for week 8 Date: 10/30/2007 3:39 PM
>> I believe Favre became the third QB this weekend to record a win against 31 other teams. <<

Assuming he notched a win against the Houston Oilers, then there would be one team in the current NFL he hasn't beaten (unless the Oilers and Titans are considered the same "team"). Any ideas who that would be?

Author: NeedH2O Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63559 of 96361
Subject: Re: Interesting fact for week 8 Date: 10/30/2007 3:42 PM
Recommendations: 3
then there would be one team in the current NFL he hasn't beaten...Any ideas who that would be?

umm, Green Bay.

Author: ziggy29 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63560 of 96361
Subject: Re: Interesting fact for week 8 Date: 10/30/2007 3:44 PM
>> umm, Green Bay. <<

Note that one of the teams he beat was the Oilers. Thus, unless the Oilers and Titans are considered the same "team" for this purpose, there's still one left as the Oilers plus the current 32 teams make 33 total.

Which is why I asked: Are the Oilers and Titans considered the same "team" for the purpose of saying he beat 31 other teams?

Author: ramsfanray Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63562 of 96361
Subject: Re: Interesting fact for week 8 Date: 10/30/2007 3:44 PM
Recommendations: 2

Assuming he notched a win against the Houston Oilers, then there would be one team in the current NFL he hasn't beaten (unless the Oilers and Titans are considered the same "team"). Any ideas who that would be?

He, or rather they can only get wins against 31 other teams because they play for the 32nd.

Author: ramsfanray Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63563 of 96361
Subject: Re: Interesting fact for week 8 Date: 10/30/2007 3:46 PM
Which is why I asked: Are the Oilers and Titans considered the same "team" for the purpose of saying he beat 31 other teams?

I assume so.

Author: NeedH2O Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63564 of 96361
Subject: Re: Interesting fact for week 8 Date: 10/30/2007 3:47 PM
Note that one of the teams he beat was the Oilers. Thus, unless the Oilers and Titans are considered the same "team" for this purpose, there's still one left as the Oilers plus the current 32 teams make 33 total.

I think for this discussion the point was that he has now beaten every current team.

Author: Hawkwin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63565 of 96361
Subject: Re: Interesting fact for week 8 Date: 10/30/2007 3:53 PM
Who was the third?

Manning, Favre, and?

Author: mbarr Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63568 of 96361
Subject: Re: Interesting fact for week 8 Date: 10/30/2007 4:02 PM
Manning, Favre, and?

Jesus H. Christ

Author: ziggy29 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63571 of 96361
Subject: Re: Interesting fact for week 8 Date: 10/30/2007 4:05 PM
>> >> Which is why I asked: Are the Oilers and Titans considered the same "team" for the purpose of saying he beat 31 other teams? << <<

>> I assume so. <<

Apparently not. This says Favre has never beaten the Chiefs:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21460305/

A week before the Colts and Patriots face each other in that highly anticipated showdown, Manning and Brady have a chance to set up the perfect matchup with an almost perfect scenario this weekend: If each wins, and keeps his respective team unbeaten, the NFL says they will become the first quarterbacks in league history to defeat 31 teams.

"I think it's better for a quarterback to do it than a coach," said Tony Dungy, the league's first coach to beat all 32 teams. "You only play those NFC teams once every four years, so that's tough to do."

It's so difficult that even the NFL's record-setting ironman, Brett Favre, has yet to achieve the milestone. Aside from his own Packers, Favre has never beaten Kansas City, Green Bay's opponent next week.

Some might even joke that Manning, Brady and Favre will have beaten all 32 teams, since each could be accused of beating their own occasionally with mistakes.

----

So if Favre has now beaten 31 teams and he hasn't beaten the Chiefs, then they must consider the Oilers and Titans to be different teams. Of course, he can remedy that by beating KC next week.

Author: mjdonadio Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63575 of 96361
Subject: Re: Interesting fact for week 8 Date: 10/30/2007 4:12 PM
Leave it to FOX pre-game to throw out a stat without checking it first.

Author: ramsfanray Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63579 of 96361
Subject: Re: Interesting fact for week 8 Date: 10/30/2007 4:23 PM
So if Favre has now beaten 31 teams and he hasn't beaten the Chiefs, then they must consider the Oilers and Titans to be different teams.

Hmmm. Well, I was watching the Colts-Panters game when the announcers there brought it up. Then indicated that Manning, Favre, and Brady had each beaten every team except one and by an odd coincidence each was given that chance to change that on the same weekend.

But, I should know better than to listen to sports announcers.

Author: ramsfanray Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63585 of 96361
Subject: Re: Interesting fact for week 8 Date: 10/30/2007 4:40 PM
Ok, I went and checked it out. However convoluted the announcers may be, you have to consider the Titans and the Oilers the same team for Favre if you want to claim that he beat them.

Here is his record vs. that Franchise.

2004 Titans 48 Packers 27
2001 Titans 26 Packers 20
1998 Packers 30 Tennesee Oilers 22
1992 Packers 16 Houston Oilers 14

I believe 98 was the year they were playing in Memphis.

Author: HardyWeinberg Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63586 of 96361
Subject: Re: Interesting fact for week 8 Date: 10/30/2007 4:44 PM
I believe 98 was the year they were playing in Memphis.

Woohoo, 33 teams!!!

Author: ziggy29 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63587 of 96361
Subject: Re: Interesting fact for week 8 Date: 10/30/2007 4:47 PM
>> Ok, I went and checked it out. However convoluted the announcers may be, you have to consider the Titans and the Oilers the same team for Favre if you want to claim that he beat them.

Here is his record vs. that Franchise.

2004 Titans 48 Packers 27
2001 Titans 26 Packers 20
1998 Packers 30 Tennesee Oilers 22
1992 Packers 16 Houston Oilers 14
<<

Ah. That would mean, then, that he's only beaten 30 teams and not 31, I think. He beat the "old" Cleveland Browns (now the Ravens) and the "new" Cleveland Browns, but those are officially the same franchise so that can't be counted twice.

Author: ramsfanray Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63589 of 96361
Subject: Re: Interesting fact for week 8 Date: 10/30/2007 4:58 PM

Ah. That would mean, then, that he's only beaten 30 teams and not 31, I think. He beat the "old" Cleveland Browns (now the Ravens) and the "new" Cleveland Browns, but those are officially the same franchise so that can't be counted twice.

He beat the Browns in 1994, the Ravens in 1998, and the Browns in 2001. No matter which of those two are considered the same, he still beat them.

Author: OuluRock Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63592 of 96361
Subject: Re: Interesting fact for week 8 Date: 10/30/2007 5:30 PM
Recommendations: 2
I believe Favre became the third QB this weekend to record a win against 31 other teams.

Favre-led Packer Teams had already beaten the Broncos 3 times in the regular season. The first was a Sunday night game where Reggie took over the game late and sacked Elway on back to back plays.

1993-10-10 Denver Broncos 30 27

1996-12-08 Denver Broncos 41 6

2003-12-28 Denver Broncos 31 3

The stat I saw was if the Packers beat KC then Favre would join Manning & Brady to beat 31 different teams.

Author: nickelsworth Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63634 of 96361
Subject: Re: Interesting fact for week 8 Date: 10/31/2007 3:08 PM

Instead of "Teams Defeated", perhaps the data is out there for "Cities won in". I wonder if anybody would be over 32? Milwaukee used to host Packer games.

nw

Author: nickelsworth Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63679 of 96361
Subject: Re: Interesting fact for week 8 Date: 11/1/2007 5:52 PM

I have some time tonight....will put a table or something together.

nw

Author: nickelsworth Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63701 of 96361
Subject: Re: Interesting fact for week 8 Date: 11/1/2007 10:41 PM
Recommendations: 4
Okay....apologies in advance for any errors....

Packers record against teams since Favre became starting QB, through 2006, not including playoffs:

Bears: 23-8
Lions: 21-9
Bucs: 15-7
Vikes: 15-14
Niners: 7-0
Panthers: 5-3
Chargers: 4-0
Eagles: 4-7
LA Rams: 3-0
Redskins: 3-0
Arizona: 3-1
Bengals: 3-1
Broncos: 3-1
Dolphins: 3-2
Falcons: 3-2
Giants: 3-2
Seahawks: 3-2
StL Rams: 3-3
Oak Raid: 2-0
Jags: 2-1
Ravens: 2-1
Browns: 2-2
Pats: 2-2
Steelers: 2-2
Bills: 2-3
Saints: 2-3
Cowboys: 2-5
Texans: 1-0
LA Raid: 1-0
Hou Oilrs:1-0
Ten Oilrs:1-0
Colts: 1-2
Jets: 1-3
Titans: 0-2
Chiefs: 0-3

Interesting facts:

Had 10 wins vs Bears before 5 vs Vikes

1st team to have 11 wins against?? Bucs (started 11-1)

Started 20-4 vs Bears

Needed 24 games against Vikes to get to 0.500

Playoffs:
Niners: 4-1 (Owens drops passes all day long until the last second)
Lions: 2-0 (Sharpe all alone in the end zone)
Bucs: 1-0
Panthers:1-0
Pats: 1-0 (yay)
Seahawks:1-0 (we want the ball, and we're going to win)
Falcons: 1-1 (Vick)
Broncos: 0-1 (ouch)
StL Rams:0-1 (22* int's) *or so
Eagles: 0-1 (4th and 26)
Vikings: 0-1

nw (and I can say with certainty that Favre has indeed beaten the Packers on more than one occassion)

Author: nickelsworth Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63702 of 96361
Subject: Re: Interesting fact for week 8 Date: 11/1/2007 11:05 PM
and we're going to win

um, score.

nw

Author: OuluRock Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63704 of 96361
Subject: Re: Interesting fact for week 8 Date: 11/1/2007 11:38 PM
Thanks for the info, probably because you've tried to repress it, you faild to include the Packer's playoff records against Dallas in the Brett Favre Era is 0-3.

Author: nickelsworth Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63719 of 96361
Subject: Re: Interesting fact for week 8 Date: 11/2/2007 12:42 PM
Thanks for the info, probably because you've tried to repress it, you faild to include the Packer's playoff records against Dallas in the Brett Favre Era is 0-3.

Quite correct, probably on the reason as well. The three losses were all in a row (93, 94, 95) at the height of the Dallas dynasty. I believe it was the 95 loss that Dallas was kept out of the end zone, but kicked 6 FG's for the win.

nw

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement