Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 193210  
Subject: Interesting Obit Date: 1/2/2013 8:30 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
The things one learns from reading about dead people. From today's NY Times Obits:

Beate Sirota Gordon, the daughter of Russian Jewish parents who at 22 almost single-handedly wrote women’s rights into the Constitution of modern Japan, and then kept silent about it for decades, only to become a feminist heroine there in recent years, died on Sunday at her home in Manhattan. She was 89.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/02/world/asia/beate-gordon-fe...

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Print the post Back To Top
Author: SamuraiWil Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 191364 of 193210
Subject: Re: Interesting Obit Date: 1/2/2013 12:52 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
The things one learns from reading about dead people. From today's NY Times Obits:

And the things one learns from reading the messages here.

Thanks for posting that Phil -- I probably would have missed it otherwise. I'll have to tell DW. She had met Mrs. Gordon a couple of times and was a great admirer. I think we have an autographed copy of her memoir.

Author: RainyDayWoman Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 191365 of 193210
Subject: Re: Interesting Obit Date: 1/2/2013 1:01 PM
Recommendations: 0
Thanks for posting that, Phil, it was a very interesting story!

Wil! Good to see you around. How have you been?

RDW

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 191366 of 193210
Subject: Re: Interesting Obit Date: 1/2/2013 2:00 PM
Recommendations: 1
Wil, like RDW said. How's life treating you?

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool

Author: malaoshi Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 191369 of 193210
Subject: Re: Interesting Obit Date: 1/3/2013 11:41 AM
Recommendations: 0
Amazing obit..article, Phil. Thanks so much for posting that...I would never have known about her. So many of my ( adult) Japanese students, wives of corporate execs, must owe so much to her.
Thanks again.
Big Momma

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement