Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: sirajd Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 24974  
Subject: Re: Biotech Model Date: 11/2/2000 1:59 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
interesting post- a few comments, most of which are my own opinion, just so u r forewarned.
But first, some historic numbers. In terms of royalties, big pharma typically gives low single digit (2-4%) for a pre-clinical candidate, 5-10% for a drug thats completed Phase 1, 10-15% for a drug thats completed Phase 2.. dont know about out-licensing after Phase 3 completed, cpys dont usually do that.

Patent expiry assumption looks ok- the truth is that the data is so greatly varied that any assumption is equally valid/invalid. For example, check out the ACE market (Capoten) vs. oncology market (Cisplatin, or etoposide).

Drug sales are the big question mark. You can always get historic info from sources like PhRMA (pharma research and manuf. asscn) re. revenues per product class and by product, and extrapolate them. The danger here is that you will be looking at the new biotech products as an extension of the current pharma industry- whereas the premise for most of us is that healthcare will be revolutionized by biotech.
Another, less quantitative way (but more appropriate in my opinion) is to start with variables that are relatively predictable. And in my opinion- these are demographics and overall HC spend. For example, HC spending has been outpacing GDP growth consistently every year, so you can postulate that it will represent x% of GDP in say 2010. Then extrapolate total GDP in 2010, and you get HC spending. Then, factor in any changes to the relative mix between drugs and non-drugs
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement