No. of Recommendations: 0
Interesting thread! A lot of good points on all sides.

While I've enjoyed the ride, I'm now REALLY interested in Helen's plans. I'm 50, would love to retire at 56 or so, but yikes, things don't necessarily get easier as you draw closer to retirement.

While some things are better known - I'm in the house I will retire in, don't plan on moving, kids are mostly through college, etc - some things are still very unknown.

I'm been saving practically since 401Ks were invented, but have a difficult time projecting future earnings, understanding what I will spend in retirement, and am concerned I may live too long (well, at least concerned I might outlive my savings). I thought I was moving right along based on the free retirement calculators, then I use Fidelity's calculator with 250 scenarios and poof! 30% chance I will outlive my savings. I hear I need 70% of pre-retirement income, then I read that I might need 100% of pre-retirement income.

Helen, how did you do it?


Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.