No. of Recommendations: 1
Interesting thread, fun to see old memories brought out of days long past.

Myself, while I worked for Western Electric Installation here in Northern California, it was my interest in the Apple ][+ that led me to sort out interfacing it to a teletype. I had come across a Teletype ASR 33, in the Sierra foothills while working up that way. We had been using them for the WeCo ESS switch interface and the PDP8 I used to test the networks.

But one afternoon, wandering the surplus shops I came across a 33 and huge box of Teletype parts, haggled to $10 for the lot! Took it all back to my motel room, made a huge mess investigating the sealed part, and cleaning up the 33. I had been in a flood, but never did the mechanism get wet, only the base stand.

Eventually getting back home, I looked around, found an optical isolator card for that Apple ][+. No such thing as an RS22 on the old TTY.. Got it going, but the LF.CR wasn't working right. Looked into tuning up the 33's mechanism, decided it was complete magic. So I horse trade a deal with a Pacific Bell TTY Repairman, gave him all the parts, a Fish of an appropriate booze, he in turn gave me back a completely operable ASR33! I could Print! And being a pin feed, I had boxes and boxed of paper available!

TTY's, or at least mine, and the ones on the job, used current loops to exchange data, hence that optical isolator card, it made my day!

Eventually I moved on to Apple's ImageWriter, sold my 33 to a friend. That ImageWriter lasted may years... A workhorse.. Back when BASIC was in many magazines, to be typed in, made to work, pure magic!

Fun times...

weco
(Stayed with Western Electric Installation, about 40 years, retiring from what we'd become, Lucent Tech, in 2002.)
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement