UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 789674  
Subject: Re: eating on 200 a month Edith Keeler Date: 1/4/2013 8:05 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
interesting....but I can afford a bunch more.

I eat out typically four-five nights a week.

Monday night is Chinese Buffet at Great Wall....lots of Broccoli and some fish and some chicken.....second plate is fruit.....

Wed is turkey and dressing and two sides, typically pinto beans and buttered corn.....

Thurs is lasagna night at Joe's pasta and pizza....comes with a small green salad...

Tues night have club meetings twice a month - either the IHOP or a Mexican food place....

Sunday morning is breakfast at Denny's.....

So....I spend $40-50 a week eating out.

Then I spend about $50 at the Walmart - breakfast is either banana walnut pancakes with fresh blueberries and raspberries - or one egg /two egg beater omelets with a sliced up roma tomato, some cheddar cheese, and some spinach leaves or a few oz of cut up ham. Usually have half an apple...... and 4 oz OJ, and cup of Taster's Choice coffee (20c).

You can buy a ham steak, cooked , for about $2.50 and it will provide either two or three salads worth of ham, or five or six omelets worth of cut up ham pieces......or a combination of the two.

Lunch is...well, either a slice of left over pizza ....or a peanut butter, banana and jelly sandwich....or a tomato/cheese sandwich....or a tuna fish sandwich...... occasionally a salad with some meet.....or a bowl of high fiber cereal with fruit on top....lots of fruit.....

When I eat dinner at home....Sunday night is pizza night...and a good salad....

I go shopping twice a week...go through 1/2 gal of milk in 10 days...same for 1/2 gal of OJ..... buy carrots (small cut up ones0 to put in salad every two weeks. Buy spinach leaves for salad and maybe romaine lettuce when good. Buy apples - about 1/2 and apple a day. Buy 6 or 8 roma tomatoes a week - except when regular tomatoes are good and juicy and priced right. Buy chicken breasts cooked...chop up for salads..... have half a dozen frozen dinners in the freezer but seldom use them. Will buy peaches when they are good, and buy red grapes - but only a pound at a time.....otherwise they'll go bad before I get to them. they are good snack food...like 1/2 an apple.

So I probably spend $40/week average at the Walmart for food....and $50 eating out...and $10 for misc......say $100/week......

I could probably cut that easily by 33%, but don't need to....and I enjoy eating out.

Well, I probably could cut that by 50%......but I don't need to....I saved enough to retire on...and now I'll let the taxpayers cough up the SS money to send me a check each month to 'live on'....

t.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement