UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 883924  
Subject: Interlibrary Loans Date: 1/16/2013 4:32 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
<<It does have a decent reservation/inter-library system, and there are teen rooms/children's programs varying by branch. And they use Overdrive to download books.

>>

People TALK a lot about interlibrary loans, but how many people actually use that service?

The only time I've used an interlibrary loan was a couple of months ago, when I was looking for a best seller from the 1930s, "Oil For the Lamps of China."

The City of Seattle library didn't have the book, but has an on line method of requesting an interlibrary loan for a fee of $5 if the book is found. I thought that was worth doing as an experiment, if nothing else.

The book arrived at my local library about ten days later. The library the book was at was a county away --- Pierce County Library, Washington State.

So that worked out well, and the $5 fee was reasonable.

Anyone else use interlibrary loans very much?

I'd like to read the book "Bugging Hitler's Generals" a new book out recently about what was learned from catured German generals during WWII when their conversations were sytematically taped. I don't know how an interlibrary loan request would work with a brand new book.

Perhaps I should find out!

Seattle Pioneer
Print the post Back To Top
Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870557 of 883924
Subject: Re: Interlibrary Loans Date: 1/16/2013 4:45 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!

I use it all the time. I can do a search for a book online, and it tells me what libraries have the book. I can opt to drive to a different library than my own and pick it up, or I can have it sent to my local library for pick-up.

If I had to guess, I'd say something like 3/4 of the books I borrow come from a library other than my own via interlibrary loan.

Do you live someplace that has a library that typically has everything you're after? I think you live in a much bigger city than I do, and may even have branches to your library. I'm in a small town, and we recently tripled the size of our library as we were still using the one built back in the very early 1900's which was a gift to the town by a couple of sisters to be built in honor of their father.

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870560 of 883924
Subject: Re: Interlibrary Loans Date: 1/16/2013 5:26 PM
Recommendations: 1

I use it all the time - there's no fee as it's only among the libraries in my county. Usually I look up a library book online, and whether it's at the branch closest to me or another, I request it be put on "Hold" at the branch closest to me - once I get an email it's available, I go pick it up.

Author: llamalluv Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870562 of 883924
Subject: Re: Interlibrary Loans Date: 1/16/2013 5:33 PM
We use it all the time. When I lived in Phoenix, it was how I chose nearly all my materials. I went online, selected what I wanted, and within 2 days (unless the item was checked out), the items were pulled and shelved for pickup. Then I just had to stop by the branch and check them out. It eliminated a lot of hunting for a book only to find it was already checked out.

Out here, all the suburbs have their own library, but they are all part of a "system". Our branch is fairly small, so in order to get most things I'm interested in, I have to request a loan.

We also cut the cable last year, and we've been watching old TV shows on DVD, which we get through inter-library loan.

For feature films that our library doesn't carry, we have to borrow them directly from the other libraries (two of them are walking distance for us), because our library does not participate in sharing movies on DVD.

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870569 of 883924
Subject: Re: Interlibrary Loans Date: 1/16/2013 6:31 PM
Interlibrary loan can be excellent in some situations, but take a look at Amazon and Half.com (part of ebay) before you decide.

Many popular books are printed by the millions. Older ones are often available used for less than $1, and shipping by media mail is often $4 or so.

Historical books are also often available as reprints. Some print on demand. Plus Google has more and more available electronically.

Sometimes you can own a book you want for less than the interlibrary loan fee.

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870571 of 883924
Subject: Re: Interlibrary Loans Date: 1/16/2013 6:36 PM
The City of Seattle library didn't have the book, but has an on line method of requesting an interlibrary loan for a fee of $5 if the book is found. I thought that was worth doing as an experiment, if nothing else.

The book arrived at my local library about ten days later. The library the book was at was a county away --- Pierce County Library, Washington State.

Lots of people. Lots and lots and lots. When I was in charge of it at the small library in the Catskills I was getting books from all over, on lots of very surprising interests. Banking in Missouri in the 1820's, books from the St. Louis Transportation system, weather information from West Point, lots of gardening books for someone with a nursery business (she was looking for information about designing gardens around specific interests), oh, lots and lots of things. It was my favorite part of the library job. I had all sorts of requests from very surprising book. Even after I moved to New Hampshire I still heard from some of them.

Lots. Believe me. Lots.

Nancy

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870575 of 883924
Subject: Re: Interlibrary Loans Date: 1/16/2013 6:49 PM
If you have an ereader, there's Project Gutenberg, which is attempting to make all the books not on copyright available through the internet.

but take a look at Amazon and Half.com (part of ebay) before you decide.

There are some people with very limited space, who depend on libraries for reading material. And my library never charged unless we were charged for getting something from outside the system.

Nancy

Author: concordiadiscors Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870578 of 883924
Subject: Re: Interlibrary Loans Date: 1/16/2013 7:42 PM
Interlibrary lending is wonderful, especially for those of us whose libraries are smallish. In my area it's free (though there's a limit of 10 hold requests at any one time) and if the book/movie you're looking for is immediately available elsewhere, it'll be delivered to your library within 4 days or so. As for getting new and popular books and movies, it's pretty much the only way to go-- you just put in a request and wait for as long as it takes to get to you, sometimes a few months if something is really in demand.

Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870581 of 883924
Subject: Re: Interlibrary Loans Date: 1/16/2013 9:46 PM

I didn't know there could be a fee for interlibrary loans. They are free at my library.

Do other libraries charge for this service?

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870583 of 883924
Subject: Re: Interlibrary Loans Date: 1/17/2013 1:26 AM
I use it all the time. We don't have national IL Loan any more, but we have state-wide IL Loan, and I use it almost every week. My library system is fairly small, and there are books I can't find locally that are available through the larger network.

On my nightstand at the moment is an IL loan book by Robert Graves (Lawrence and the Arabs), that I am really looking forward to reading.

Author: tconi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870584 of 883924
Subject: Re: Interlibrary Loans Date: 1/17/2013 4:32 AM
Interlibrary lending is wonderful, especially for those of us whose libraries are smallish. In my area it's free (though there's a limit of 10 hold requests at any one time)

I am still miffed that you interelibrary loaned our much beloved children's librarian...

peace & Steve
t

backstory - My small town library had this great children's librarian and he left.
When he arrived in his new town he was talking to someone there (who turnedout to be concordiadiscors), and she asked From what town did you come?
He told her and she said Oh- I know tconi & the elf

Author: Jennlee222 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870589 of 883924
Subject: Re: Interlibrary Loans Date: 1/17/2013 7:28 AM
My library chain covers the south central part of our state including my home city. That's something like 20 libraries. The inventory is stored on one database and so if you want something you can just request it and tell the system what library you want it delivered to. Very nice. And free. It probably cuts down the number of copies they'd buy for some things since a library doesn't have to have a particular item as long as the patrons can order it from another library.

Author: LQu Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870594 of 883924
Subject: Re: Interlibrary Loans Date: 1/17/2013 9:18 AM
don't know how an interlibrary loan request would work with a brand new book

SP - it need to be more than 12 months old:
http://www.spl.org/library-collection/interlibrary-loans

Laura

Author: Lea77 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870599 of 883924
Subject: Re: Interlibrary Loans Date: 1/17/2013 11:01 AM
Since I primarily use the library to pick up new fiction, I don't usually need to use the loan program because they have that stuff in stock.

What I do all the time, though, is go online and put a hold on a new book that is out of the library. They call me when it's in and I go pick it up. I would like to check out what's available on kindle throught the library system in the town next door to mine (which is larger) but I haven't gotten around to that yet.

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870610 of 883924
Subject: Re: Interlibrary Loans Date: 1/17/2013 3:15 PM
<<Anyone else use interlibrary loans very much?

I use it all the time. I can do a search for a book online, and it tells me what libraries have the book. I can opt to drive to a different library than my own and pick it up, or I can have it sent to my local library for pick-up.

>>

I don't consider getting a book from another library in your system to be an interlibrary loan. I'd call that an inTRA library loan.

Seattle Public Library makes that very easy, and I use that frequently.

I'm talking about getting a book from another library system --- perhaps across the state or across the country.

Sorry if I wasn't being clear.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870613 of 883924
Subject: Re: Interlibrary Loans Date: 1/17/2013 3:26 PM
I don't consider getting a book from another library in your system to be an interlibrary loan. I'd call that an inTRA library loan.

Well, the librarians call it InterLibrary Loan. Unless you're talking about something slightly different? The Boston Public Library has a number of library branches plus one main library. I use the main library, and if I want a book that is at a different branch, that is an Intralibrary loan. However, most of the libraries in the county are part of a system, and if a book is at a different library that is part of the system, that is an InterLibrary Loan. It's also InterLibrary Loan if the book comes from a different state or even a different country. I occasionally sent or received documents to and from Canada.

In fact, at the library in the Catskills (name hidden to protect guilty parties) I had access to the systems of three different counties as well as most of the local universities. If the book wasn't in any of them the request went to the central library for my system, which then ordered it from elsewhere in the country.

Nancy

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870616 of 883924
Subject: Re: Interlibrary Loans Date: 1/17/2013 3:36 PM
<<don't know how an interlibrary loan request would work with a brand new book

SP - it need to be more than 12 months old:
http://www.spl.org/library-collection/interlibrary-loans

Laura
>>

Thank you. Another good theory shot to heck!

It does describe the Seattle Public Library interlibrary loan program in detail.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: concordiadiscors Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870674 of 883924
Subject: Re: Interlibrary Loans Date: 1/18/2013 7:50 PM
I am still miffed that you interelibrary loaned our much beloved children's librarian...

Heh. I'm still kind of amazed that the world is that small. I count us very lucky, and I'm pretty sure that the rest of our library-using townsfolk are hoping he's "library use only" from here on out...

Author: cgrinder Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870694 of 883924
Subject: Re: Interlibrary Loans Date: 1/19/2013 2:53 AM
nterlibrary loan can be excellent in some situations, but take a look at Amazon and Half.com (part of ebay) before you decide.

Many popular books are printed by the millions. Older ones are often available used for less than $1, and shipping by media mail is often $4 or so.

Historical books are also often available as reprints. Some print on demand. Plus Google has more and more available electronically.

> i use interlibrary loan....google has books online? how does it work?

thanks! fred

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870706 of 883924
Subject: Re: Interlibrary Loans Date: 1/19/2013 2:23 PM
Yes, Google has been involved in lawsuits over their efforts to digitize old books whose copyrights have expired.

You will find Books listed under the More tag at the top of the Google search page.

http://books.google.com/bkshp?hl=en&tab=wp

I have not done much with them, but some do come up on Google searches for certain topics like history.

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870708 of 883924
Subject: Re: Interlibrary Loans Date: 1/19/2013 4:44 PM
Yes, Google has been involved in lawsuits over their efforts to digitize old books whose copyrights have expired.

Are you certain it was about books whos copyrights have expired?

Google was attempting to digitize all books, including those who were covered by copyrights.

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870722 of 883924
Subject: Re: Interlibrary Loans Date: 1/20/2013 4:01 PM
Are you certain it was about books whos copyrights have expired?

No, I am not familiar with the details of the lawsuits. But yes, Google planned to digitize all the books they could in certain libraries.

What is copyright law these days? Life of the author plus x years, and renewable.

I suspect the essence of the issue is that publishers did not bother to renew copyrights on old volumes that were no longer in print. But they failed to realize that some might find those old works of interest for various reasons. So they scrambled to protect some works and prevent Google from getting excess control of digital matter.

I'm not sure how this all came out, but Google and others continue to digitize old books when they can. Some older works are now readily available when you look for them.

Author: kahunacfa Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870868 of 883924
Subject: Re: Interlibrary Loans Date: 1/25/2013 3:59 PM
...People TALK a lot about interlibrary loans, but how many people actually use that service?... - eattlePioneer | Date: 1/16/2013 4:32:26 PM | Number: 870867

I use inter-library loans all-of-the-time. Especially to borrow Ph. D. Thesis material from the University of Wisconsin - Madison.

Kahuna, CFA
Investment Professional
1974 - Present

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement