Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: IRSaware Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121592  
Subject: Internal Revenue Code Land Mine Date: 3/27/2000 6:42 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Wow! I guess I stepped into a land mine. I guess I'll need some armor in this message board. Sounds like some nerves are a bit taxed.

Thank you, TMF ExRO for your kind guidance with "Favorites & Replies." It worked beautifully.

In response to your second posting for me; yes, it is the tax LAW, as written by Congress, I am interested in discussing. But I would have to disagree with your statement, "I would agree with the other posts about the efficacy of learning tax law from reading the Code. It's not the easiest or even the best way to do it, considering the complexities." Actually, the Code is surprisingly easy to comprehend, if you follow the index, and break it down into it's Subtitles, which are seperate and distinct from each other.

And to you, TMF Taxes, and RooCat, I understand the pressure tax season puts upon "Tax Professionals" and will respect the deadline of April 17th. Until then I will remain silent, but afterwards I hope to actually discuss the Internal Revenue Code.

RooCat, I guess it's all about jurisdiction.

And to TheBadger: I'm a little confused. You said, "I think I have hit about 75% to 80% of what is worth reading & what you can trust & treat as an authority.", but you prefaced it with, "I have spent 30 years with my nose in Title 26 & probably have read no more than 20% of it." You ended with, "when we really want to go to the source we read the Code, related regulations & other written sources from the IRS or the courts." You can see where my confusion comes from. You say you've read 75-80% of what you treat as "authority", but only 20% of the law. Is not the ultimate authority the law, as set down by Congress? (The IRS is just an administrative agency that actually has limited authority under the law.)

And to LoTax: Nothing gives me more joy than making someone laugh, especially when it done in the light of educating them. And from the sounds of your post ("it's certainly foolish, and not Foolish, to read the Code, etc.") you don't sound so educated on the tax law. I'm assuming by "etc." you mean it's foolish to read The Constitution of United States, as well as any other body of law, for education purposes.

And to elibortPrairiela: I believe you can find the word "ignore" in "ignorance." We wouldn't want to be ignorant of the law, would we?

Finally to criser: I'd like to think of studying the Code more as angioplasty, than plaque. Used to remove the blockage of misguided knowledge about taxes and the law.

The Webster's definition of STRATEGY:
a careful plan or method : a clever stratagem : the art of devising or employing plans or stratagems toward a goal.

This is a message board on TAX STRATEGIES, and I believe The Internal Revenue Code is the key to careful planning.

I only brought up the idea of studying the IRC for education. And isn't education the best "strategy?"

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement