UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: henrypeter Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2601  
Subject: Internet business model Date: 2/3/2002 9:34 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Since JDSU, AVNX, GLW etc. have such little visibility about a future upturn in business, it makes me wonder WHY and WHEN there may be a business upturn.This led me to think about the telecoms and their busness model for the future of the Internet (Next Gen fiberoptic).
The telecoms which are facing declining revenues and heavy debt from the first stage of their Internet investment, may not be in a hurry to resume spending if there is no revenue benefit from upgrading the Internet. In other words, their Internet business model may not be a profitable one, and therefore they may choose to lay off further Next Gen fiberoptic investment for the foreseeable future.

It seems the business model to date consists of the following:

1. revenues from selling DSL connections to residential customers. But 90% of potential subsribers in the U.S. have chosen not to hook up by DSL becasue the extra $40-50 per month cost is not worth it.
2. Selling T1 connections to business customers. The present Internet seems to be handling this volume adequately, and I do not know of any reliable projections that establish if and when the present telecom investment in the Internet will become inadequate for this market segment.
3. The model which Global Crossings GX) used selling IRU (indefeasible rights of usage). This business segment would be very valuable to large companies (banks, investment firms, gov't, and others) who need the reliability and safety of IRUs. This market segment could be very profitable to the telecoms, but it was based on an assumption of high elasticty of demand. That is, as the price per minute of chargeable time declined, the demand (usage) would increase faster than the price decline resulting in overall increasing revenues. Part of the GX failure was due to the demand not keeping up with the price declines which were forced on GX by competitive pressures. Nonetheless, in this case also, I know of no reliable projections that establish if and when the present telecom investment in the Internet will become inadequate for this market segment.
4. A fourth concept is the development of "killer apps" which would make an upgraded Internet imperative for the telecoms to invest again. However, such killer apps are mostly rumored, and there is not anything really in sight. Basicly, most Internet usage is a free local phone call, so there is no revenue opportunity there, even for e-mailing.

Thus, the telecom business model would depend on DSLs, T1 connections, and IRUs.

So, the business model for telecoms that would justify further big investment in NextGen fiberoptics MAY NOT be a profitable business model. If that is the case, it may be a real long time, if ever, that the telecoms are willing, or able, to spend more, if there is not a profitable business model to support their investment. As was recently discussed on the AVNX board, the question was raised as "Perhaps the AVNX solution of NextGen (highend) or JDSU (lowend) is an overkill which is simply not needed because the present Internet for the foreseeable future is more than adequate, and it would not be profitable for the telecoms to take the fiber network any further.

Anyway, these are just musing by someone who is not an economist (other than college basics 101) and not technologically trained. I would be glad to hear constructive comments from others who might shed more light, pro or con, about the subject.

Henry.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement