UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 65532  
Subject: Internet Question Date: 12/5/2012 1:26 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have a NetFlix account in the USA which I access through an AppleTV. If I go to Toronto Canada or the UK and plug in the AppleTV, I get the Canadian or UK version of Netflix - not the USA version.

I am wondering how that happens. I would expect things to be linked via an IP address and that certainly should cross/transcend national boundaries.

(Just to be honest, I haven't made such trips/observations personally. But a neighbor has and found the differences in Netflix offering very different between the countries mentioned.)

Gordon
Atlanta
Print the post Back To Top
Author: FlyingDiver Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61634 of 65532
Subject: Re: Internet Question Date: 12/5/2012 1:28 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
When you're in Canada, you're connected to a Canadian ISP and get a Canadian IP address, so Netflix connects you to a Canadian server.

If you want the US servers, you need to connect to Netflix from a US IP address. The usual solution to that is a VPN account. I use www.strongvpn.com for that.

Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61638 of 65532
Subject: Re: Internet Question Date: 12/5/2012 4:41 PM
So are you saying the AppleTV is connecting to NetFlix.com as opposed to a specific IP?

And wouldn't NetFlix have addresses like NetFlix.co.UK and NetFlix.co.CA

Here in the states, if I key in Fool.com, I got the the US Motley Fool. But if I key in Fool.co.UK I get the to UK version -- not the one I am posting on right now.

Gordon
Atlanta

Author: FlyingDiver Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61640 of 65532
Subject: Re: Internet Question Date: 12/5/2012 6:33 PM
No, I'm saying the AppleTV is connecting to some unknown host name, which is certainly not the same one you connect to with your web browser. Call it "appletv.netflix.com". It wouldn't be a specific IP address, because that would be to easy to fail.

The server at that address looks at the IP address of the incoming connection (your AppleTV), determines that it's using a Canadian ISP (and is presumably in Canada), and redirects your AppleTV to contact appletv.netflix.ca (for example). At that point, you're getting the content authorized for Canada.

Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61641 of 65532
Subject: Re: Internet Question Date: 12/5/2012 8:07 PM
Thanks, that makes sense.

Gordon

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement