UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: notehound Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 449747  
Subject: Internet Sales Tax: Camel's nose? Date: 4/22/2013 10:38 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
As Congress prepares to vote on the Internet Sales Tax bill this afternoon, TV talking head says broker-dealers fear that this is a back-door move toward a Financial Transactions Tax.

Let's see...

Retailers welcome electronic sales taxes, while bankers fear them.

Wonder which lobbying group wins?

3 guesses... and the first 2 don't count.

;-)

P.S.: Consumers hate them, too - but by now, most of us are paying Internet Sales Taxes in our states already.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: tim443 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 421182 of 449747
Subject: Re: Internet Sales Tax: Camel's nose? Date: 4/22/2013 10:49 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I've always thought it was terribly unfair (normally I hate that word) for bricks and mortar stores to have to collect sales taxes while the internet guys with lower operating costs already could dodge then.

But of course we have been paying them all along. }};-D

Any <What means this word "FAIR"> mouse

Author: kf6pfk Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 421198 of 449747
Subject: Re: Internet Sales Tax: Camel's nose? Date: 4/22/2013 1:47 PM
Recommendations: 5
I've always thought it was terribly unfair (normally I hate that word) for bricks and mortar stores to have to collect sales taxes while the internet guys with lower operating costs already could dodge then.

I live in California, so the new tax is presented to me each time I go through the Amazon checkout.

I know that I "think" that Internet taxes level the playing field, but I was curious to see what I actually "did" when they were imposed (know thyself).

I guess I'm kinda odd, in that I have lists for wants and needs, and I track all my purchases.

So, what I THOUGHT I WOULD DO, was to switch to buying local, in the process supporting my community (making me feel all good about myself).

What I DID, was to scrutinize each purchase more carefully, and in the end ,I reduced the total amount that I purchased. I did not on average buy local, (though that's what I'd tell everyone else to do). I bought markedly less. That was probably good for me and my budget. But I'm pretty sure that's not what the state had in mind when they added the tax. And as to the local retailers, who were yelling the loudest? They lost anyway.

Author: jerryab Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 421228 of 449747
Subject: Re: Internet Sales Tax: Camel's nose? Date: 4/22/2013 11:23 PM
Recommendations: 0
So, what I THOUGHT I WOULD DO, was to switch to buying local, in the process supporting my community (making me feel all good about myself).

What I DID, was to scrutinize each purchase more carefully, and in the end ,I reduced the total amount that I purchased. I did not on average buy local, (though that's what I'd tell everyone else to do). I bought markedly less. That was probably good for me and my budget. But I'm pretty sure that's not what the state had in mind when they added the tax. And as to the local retailers, who were yelling the loudest? They lost anyway.

If you are not buying, then you did not really need it.

I have done the same thing for years. I check out what I want to buy first, then look at pricing from all sources. Online sales (i.e. extra discounts) can be significantly lower than retail prices. Adding in shipping, etc to a "normal" online price means I will sometimes buy locally and not worry about the sales tax. In 2008, got my HDDs from Best Buy retail stores because they had the same price as online. Now, for the 4TB HDDs, the online prices are much lower. I do the same type of analysis for a variety of things where such savings are possible--but the key point is total delivered price, and that means the price (difference) has to be high enough to justify buying online. I get some stuff from Amazon because of their $25+order = free shipping deal. So I got a $24.97 Dremel and added one bit ($3+) and got free shipping. Nobody local (Menards, Lowes, Home Depot) carried it (I checked). I got my counter-top dishwasher via eBay, for example. Nobody local had it in stock and the lead time was like 4-8 weeks (yet I had purchased the original one locally years before. They didn't stock that item any more but were a large distributor for a variety of major brands). People do NOT buy if they do not know it exists.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement