Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: SmrtAss Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 86539  
Subject: Invalid Charges to a Debit Card Account Date: 1/30/1999 4:39 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
This is a copy of a letter a friend of mine sent to borders.com. I copied and pasted the entire thing so y'all can see all that transpired. I told him he should've also asked for something from them besides the things he demanded...like some free merchandise for the stress they put him through. What do y'all think?

On Sunday, January 24, 1999 I discovered that borders.com charged to my debit account, the amount of $3019.99. this charge was never approved by my spouse or myself and I was not notified of the charge. As a result, my account is overdrawn. I have been charged $125.00 in NSF fees and expect another $50.00 in NSF fees to be charged early this week. I have initiated action with my bank to dispute this charge. I am sure you are aware that this action "freezes" my account and I am not able to access the funds in the account, or any funds which will be deposited electronically into the account. This creates an undue hardship on my family. I have discussed this matter with "Joanne" at your customer service center in La Vargne, Tennessee, and as helpful as she would like to be, her hands were tied because this error was discovered on Sunday, and her correspondence (email) to your corporate office went unanswered.

The debit card account information given to your company was as a result of an order I placed with a gift certificate I received. Your policy is to secure credit card information in the event the purchase amount exceeds the certificate amount. I assure you (and i have the invoice) that my order did not exceed the value of the certificate. When I placed that order, I received an email confirming my order. Unlike the charge for $3019.99. I received no notification or confirmation.

I encourage you to take the following action on Monday 25 January, 1999:

1. Research this charge. Report to me (by close of business Monday 25 January, 1999) who authorized the charge and for what purpose.

2. Refund the monies debited from my account ASAP (I expect a credit to my account by close of business Tuesday 26 January, 1999). The amount of $3019.99 and in addition to this, $125.00 i've already been charged for NSF fees and $50.00 I expect to be charged to my account early this week. A total of $3194.99.

3. A letter be sent to my financial institution explaining your error and that this charge was not known to me, or authorized by me. Please provide a copy of the letter to me (via email) by close of business Tuesday 26 January, 1999.

4. Proof that any information you have regarding me or my accounts has been destroyed.

5. If this action cannot be taken, I urge you to contact me via telephone, first thing Monday morning January 25th 1999. Joanne at the customer service center in TN has my telephone numbers.

I understand that the time frames for the requested action are rather short. However, it took considerably less time than that to debit my account and place this hardship on my family.

This letter in no way imposes a threat. It is simply a request for information and corrective action. If this request cannot be honored, please be advised that I am prepared to contact the Better Business Bureau, Federal Trade Commission and several Consumer Protection Services.

My previous order number is: ******. This number will provide you with the personal information you require to correct this error and contact me.

Kinda scary, isn't it? I talked to him yesterday and all was not yet resolved, and fees were still piling up while his account remained frozen. Any suggestions?

Patti
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement