Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I retired last July and my wife retired a year earlier.
I am able to do the IRA thing for last year by the 15th. of April to get the tax break. For this year with the both of us retired and neither of us working the IRA thing is out. I want to do some investing for the future as we are both just in our late 50's. I dont know where to start. I would like to do it online as I am computer literate. Who should I use? What should I invest in? Stocks or Mutual funds? etc. etc.
Print the post Back To Top
Buy a mix of solid old economy/new economy blue chips (like GE, Intel, Msft) with heavy emphasis on firms actually -- you know -- MAKING money and -- HORRORS -- PAYING DIVIDENDS. My apologies to any 20 something cybergeeks lurking in here as I'm sure that advice has you barfing into your hazlenut latte.
Then DRIP, DRIP, DRIP (reinvest the dividends)like a Fool while committing any loose resources to buying more on pullbacks. DO NOT go with a mutual fund. If you hang around here long enough, you'll be able start YOUR OWN mutual fund -- and do better than most of THOSE fools.
I assume by start your own mutual fund you mean the portfolio that I have going. Should I invest on-line with a online company? I feel comfortable doing the computer stuff so that would not be a problem.

The companies that you used as an example are actually some of the ones I would pick. Because of my background in computers I would tend to lean more in that direction.

Thanks! I love this site!!!
Advertisement