Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: medic21 CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 27450  
Subject: Investing $5000 advice Date: 9/17/2012 4:33 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have $5000 that i dont need for the next 3-5 years. im in the military and just got back from deployment and the extra money i dont need right now . What is the best place to put it, to make the most profit on it ?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 26196 of 27450
Subject: Re: Investing $5000 advice Date: 9/17/2012 6:16 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
You should be 100% in equities. Most people begin with an S&P 500 Index mutual fund such as Vanguard's 500 Index Fund (ticker VFINX). Some prefer total market funds such as Vanguard's VTI.

From there you can make other choices as you gain experience.

Author: philippalmer Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 26197 of 27450
Subject: Re: Investing $5000 advice Date: 9/18/2012 10:31 AM
Recommendations: 3
Medic,

Being military, and I understand you have recently returned from deployment, but next time you go out, think about the savings deposit program. Your personnel office could give you the details. You can deposit up to $10K and get a guaranteed return of 10%.
As far as what to currently do with the 5K, I agree with Paul, get into equities, time is on your side. There are some solid Dow stocks that pay good dividends that are fairly safe investments, as far as capital preservation goes. I would look at stocks like MCD, COH, AFL, KO and the like.
Welcome back and glad you made it home safely. Thank you for your service.

Foolishly,
Phil

Author: crikescrikes Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 26199 of 27450
Subject: Re: Investing $5000 advice Date: 9/19/2012 2:29 PM
Recommendations: 1
<<<I have $5000 that i dont need for the next 3-5 years. im in the military and just got back from deployment and the extra money i dont need right now . What is the best place to put it, to make the most profit on it ?>>>

I suggest using $200(?) for a one year Stock Advisor subscription - (read their money back guarantee). Your subscription allows access to ALL archived issues. Tom and David have a proven track record of beating the SP500 for several years, so in my opinion why even try to pick stocks on your own?

Then divide the remaining money equally to buy 5 stocks from the latest issue. Memorize the Rule of 72, and also remember that $1000 compound doubled just 10 times results in a million dollars (1000 to 2000 to 4000, etc.)

The rule of 72 is a formula that tells you how long your money will take to double. Several of Tom and David's stock picks increase at an average pace greater than 25%/year, So 72 divided by 25 = 2.9 years for your money to double.

Some of their stock picks have even doubled in less than 1 year!! (but don't expect it to... just be satisfied with 20-25% growth . Remember, the bank pays less than 1% per year, meaning your money would take 72 years for only one double! I don't suggest leaving your money in a savings account.)

If you start with $4000, and get lucky with picks that average over 20% per year, and you continue to add to your account each month, you may be a millionaire by the time you retire from the military!

I believe that Tom and David will soon rank among the greatest investors of all time, along with Lynch and Buffett!

Hit the home page button and start your (no risk, money back guarantee) subscription! Stock Advisor and patience will make you a millionaire.

Fool on
crikescrikes

Author: medic21 CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 26201 of 27450
Subject: Re: Investing $5000 advice Date: 9/20/2012 3:59 PM
Recommendations: 0
thanks for all the advice

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement