Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Volucris Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5082  
Subject: Investing for FIRE Date: 7/23/2004 2:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Well, the S&P is down for the year. I should be happy that it's down, because investing is cheaper. It sure is hard on the ol' morale though.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: decath Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2610 of 5082
Subject: Re: Investing for FIRE Date: 7/23/2004 2:22 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Volucris:
I should be happy that it's down, because investing is cheaper. It sure is hard on the ol' morale though.

No kidding! The only reason my portfolio is north of what it was Jan 1 is because of my contributions.

At least it is better than 2000-2002. 2000 was when I started maxing out my 401ks and Roths (nice timing huh!). Every quarterly statement showed my total FIRE assets either even or less than the quarter before.

decath

Author: michaelangela Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2611 of 5082
Subject: Re: Investing for FIRE Date: 7/23/2004 3:50 PM
Recommendations: 1
You've heard the motto, "Buy low and sell high"?

Well, yer all set! Step 1 accomplished!

MA
...tempted to take a HELOC to buy even more.

Author: ChocoKitty Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2612 of 5082
Subject: Re: Investing for FIRE Date: 7/23/2004 3:57 PM
Recommendations: 1
No kidding. I closed my eyes and dumped a chunk of money into VTSMX today (got my monthly partnership draw today). I hope this works!

CK

Author: TheBreeze Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2624 of 5082
Subject: Re: Investing for FIRE Date: 7/25/2004 7:29 PM
Recommendations: 2
At least it is better than 2000-2002. 2000 was when I started maxing out my 401ks and Roths (nice timing huh!). Every quarterly statement showed my total FIRE assets either even or less than the quarter before.

Sounds OK to me. You've been buying while stocks were "on sale." Thus, you've been buying more shares than when the prices were high. Plus, if you didn't really invest much before 2000, then you had very little to ride the whole recession down. Had you started in 1998, say, all the money you invested then (at or near the market highs) would have ridden down down down.

Author: chooey98 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2628 of 5082
Subject: Re: Investing for FIRE Date: 7/26/2004 8:52 AM
Recommendations: 0
No kidding! The only reason my portfolio is north of what it was Jan 1 is because of my contributions.

Same here!

At least it is better than 2000-2002.

It's because of this time period that I'm antsy now. However, if 2003 taught me anything, it was that staying the course pays off. So, that's my plan for now.

Looking at those quarterly statements is a drag, though, and it's times like this that I wonder if I'll ever make it.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement