UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Ringfinger Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75530  
Subject: Investing for safety Date: 10/17/2011 11:25 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I will briefly describe and x-post elsewhere for visibility/help.

My MIL, she is all invested in 2 star and 1 star funds with high fees/12-b-1, sales loads. he "investment advisor" really is not doing her a favor here for what he is getting paid ultimately to manage her portfolio. I would like to help, but I am unfamiliar with her stage of life, 65+ as I am still in the socking the money away phase.'

Bottom line:

1. I need to invest her money to ensure minimal risk of principal.

2. We are looking at like $65,000. This is it, all she has, only SS comes in monthly and a small pension.

3. She needs a $700 payout monthly, for expenses she has.

4. I am thinking an 80/20 split between Fixed income/equities.

5. How do I minimize tax implications? I will set up a new account, I believe it is an IRA (non-roth) at present, so would I keep it as a traditional IRA even though she is not putting any new monies in?

6. Any advice is appreciated. I am thinking Schwab to manage as that is who I use at present and they have a great selection/low fees.

Help!! ;-)
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

U.S. Stable, Europe Stalling
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement