Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: NWolf41 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19483  
Subject: Investing House Sale Proceeds Date: 3/20/2000 2:06 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
My husband and I are retired (ages 54, 55 respectively) and just sold our home to our son. We have already moved into our vacation house which we own free and clear and are living on our pensions. We have a little money invested in S&P500 index fund and a money market fund. We both also have deferred comp accounts that we aren't tapping into yet. Is it better strategy to put the total $ we want in the S&P500 right away or put all in money market and invest in index fund monthly until reaching the amount we want in it? Dollar cost averaging or all at once? Any advice would be appreciated.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3015 of 19483
Subject: Re: Investing House Sale Proceeds Date: 3/20/2000 2:50 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Nwolf41, and welcome. You wrote:

<<My husband and I are retired (ages 54, 55 respectively) and just sold our home to our son. We have already moved into our vacation house which we own free and clear and are living on our pensions. We have a little money invested in S&P500 index fund and a money market fund. We both also have deferred comp accounts that we aren't tapping into yet. Is it better strategy to put the total $ we want in the S&P500 right away or put all in money market and invest in index fund monthly until reaching the amount we want in it? Dollar cost averaging or all at once? Any advice would be appreciated.>>

A number of studies comparing lump sum versus dollar cost averaging investing have shown that neither is significantly better than the other over the long-term. Thus, do what makes you most comfortable. Given the gyrations of the current market, many would prefer dollar cost averaging.

Regards..Pixy

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement