Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: MBfool Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 6  
Subject: Investing in India Funds Date: 12/5/2004 3:11 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Wow! I am impressed with the prompt response for a request for this board. This is totally Foolish!

I have done very well with IIF (Morgan Stanley India Fund) and IFN (run by a subsidiary of Oppenheimer), two closed end exchange traded funds. I think they are a better way to buy Indian ADRs (like INFY, WIT, HDB, etc.,) without the ADR premium and also to buy Indian stocks that do not offer ADRs.

I think India is poised to grow its GDP at about 7% for the foreseeable future. Foreign investment is at a record pace this year despite change in the government. Though the Indian stock market appears somewhat pricy at the moment, buying on pull backs and/or investing at regular intervals should yield excellent returns longer term. http://online.wsj.com/article/0,,SB110200879990589339,00.html?mod=yahoo_hs&ru=yahoo

I thought I would highlight this offer of "Terms of Rights" to buy IFN at a 5% discount to net asset value announced by IFN.

IFN announced a "Terms of Rights" Offering. http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/041201/15510_1.html
The Fund will issue to stockholders of record as of December 17, 2004 one right for each share of common stock held. The rights will entitle holders to subscribe for additional shares of the Fund's common stock at a subscription price per share equal to 95% of the Fund's net asset value per share on the expiration date of the Offer, which is January 31, 2005. Holders will be able to purchase one share of common stock for every three rights held.

For the nine months ended September 30, 2004, the Fund's top ten holdings and sector allocations were:

Infosys Technologies 10.9%
Reliance Industries 10.9%
Housing Development 4.1%
ITC Ltd 4.1%
Bharti TeleVenture 3.7%
State Bank ofIndia 3.6%
Satyam Computer Services Ltd 3.5%
Bharat Heavy Electricals 3.3%
ONGC Ltd 3.3%
HDFC Bank 3.0%

Good luck.
MBfool
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement