No. of Recommendations: 0

Investing in the fund directly would be a taxable investment, would it not? I am looking to invest tax-advantaged.

I am under the impression that an IRA has to be opened with some type of financial entity such as a bank, broker or investment firm like Vanguard or Fidelity. I am ignorant of what other avenues there are to have an IRA account.

I am also under the impression that the investments made within that IRA have to be available at the entity where the account is opened. If Scottrade doesn't offer a particular fund, then I can not invest in that fund within my IRA I have at Scottrade.

If'n this ain't rite ... then learn me sumpin.


Not necessarily a taxable investment.
I have my IRA at Vanguard.
I used to have an IRA at American Century -- and a Rollover IRA at Vanguard -- and another Rollover IRA at eTrade.

Finally moved everything to Vanguard.

But yes, if you have your one and only IRA at Scottrade, then you would have to buy through them.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.