No. of Recommendations: 0
I asked the question on the "retired fools" discussion board...but, I would like to ask it here.
If an American citizen lives full-time abroad, such as in Mexico or Canada, can he/she transfer thier IRA monies abroad, to a safe tax-
haven, such as the Netherlands, Switzerland, Austria or the Bahamas...?

Thus, letting the IRA conpound and grow abroad, and following the same legal IRA distribution rules...but, since the individual lives abroad, and the monies are subject to the tax laws on foreign investors of the
country in which the money is invested...taxes may then be avoided.I
am not looking for illegal means...but, legal investing routes that ex-pats may use to invest and avoid paying taxes...which are not benefiting them...

I have not read of IRAs being invested abroad, other then thru mutual funds,such as global,international,emerging-markets,or European funds...and these are subject to taxation, since they are American-
based investing they should be...

If anyone can answer my questions I would appreciate thier input...
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.