Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 6
A few thoughts for the investing novices. Not tax-advantaged, just tax-driven for a simpler life:

1. No more wash sales. What a headache to keep track of the cost basis, especially if you are foolish enough to get a couple wash sales into the mix and sell (and buy back) only part of your total position each time. Once I am out of a stock, I am out... at least for long enough not to be a wash sale.

2. A stock with a dividend heavily made up of return of capital, thus partly tax-advantaged by adjusting the cost basis of the shares, will be a very difficult thing to convince me to buy in a taxable account in the future. Again, what a headache to figure the cost basis when sale times comes, especially with dividend reinvestment.

3. Stocks that have splits, especially other than 2:1. I sold a stock that did some kind of a weird stock dividend that was treated as something like a 33:32 split for tax purposes. What a headache figuring that out. Another stock I still hold has had multiple 11:10 splits. I figure there is no way I can sell only a few shares from that position when I want to lighten up. Either the whole position goes or nothing at all; too time-consuming and frustrating to figure out a cost basis otherwise.

4. I would like to include capital loss carry-overs in this list, too, but I suppose we can't all win every year.

There are probably other things that are more trouble than they are worth, too. None of these are inherently wrong, mind you, for someone with more patience than I. They are just more trouble and stress than they are worth, and probably don't contribute to boosting earnings in any real way while they do contribute stress in a very real way.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement