Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I am quite active in the stock market beside a full time job. I trade about 4/5 times a month and have a portfolio of over $250,000. This is, of course, a "for profit" activity for tax purposes. As a part of this activity I incur quite a bit of expenses - for subscriptions to several market investment newsletters, an on-line service for technical analysis, AOL for business information and portfolio updates, use of a computer, telephone line etc. My question is whether, and how, I can report this activity as a business for tax purposes. Do I need to incorporate, or create a business entity of some sort, or continue filing as an individual and use Sched. C for reporting this business? I would greatly appreciate your opinion. Thanks.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.