UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: lawrhs Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75890  
Subject: Investment in Apple Date: 3/26/2011 5:38 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm a new member and retiring in about 18 months. I have a substantial 403b Account and additional investments of about $400k. I have been attracted by Apple for some time. Does it make sense to invest about $10k in Apple common given the fact that the share price has increased to a very high level now?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Fuskie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Winner of the 2010 Rule Breakers Challenge Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 68712 of 75890
Subject: Re: Investment in Apple Date: 3/26/2011 7:16 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
If your time range is only a year and a half, no. Apple has a slight case of the hiccups with component supply problems after the disasters in Japan, and there are lingering concerns about Apple after Steve Jobs, but most seem to think that the company's design, delivery and domination are secure in the future.

Fuskie
Who would only buy if you have a long enough investment window...

Author: oceanbluela Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 68715 of 75890
Subject: Re: Investment in Apple Date: 3/26/2011 8:28 PM
I'm a new member and retiring in about 18 months. I have a substantial 403b Account and additional investments of about $400k...Does it make sense to invest about $10k in Apple...

I am a huge fan of Apple, both the company and the products. If you study the numbers, they have excellent cash flow and earnings, and an unbelievable amount of cash on hand. I respectfully disagree with Fuskie and would be (and have been) a buyer of Apple here (adding to my now full position). I say that knowing that you are retiring in 18 months. My reasoning is that you have a substantial 403b as well as 400,000 in other investments. That means a 10,000 investment is pretty much chump change in relation to the size of your portfolio, and even if Apple took a major dive (say, when Jobs dies), it will recover. I also believe the passing of Jobs is pretty much baked into the stock at this point, though it might temporarily head south when that happens. I know the same thing will happen with my Berkshire shares when Buffett dies, but I also know the company is sound and will bounce back.

Apple is just getting started IMHO (and also in the opinions of many others, a lot of them here on the Fool). I can't wait to see where it is iin 10 years. There's a lot of good reading out there about the company. I suggest you really dig into what will be a pleasant exercise. If you do, I bet you buy, and with little worry. If I didn't own any, I'd buy some for sure.

Best,

Vivienne

Author: drippinfool Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 68718 of 75890
Subject: Re: Investment in Apple Date: 3/26/2011 10:45 PM
What you are really asking is "what will the price of APL do in the future?"

No one can answer that question. It is one of the reasons I put my retirement money in broad based low cost index funds and own the whole market. That way I get to participate in APL and most other companies out there without worrying that much about any one of them.

Good luck with your upcoming retirement.

-drip

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 68720 of 75890
Subject: Re: Investment in Apple Date: 3/26/2011 11:20 PM
I'm a new member and retiring in about 18 months. I have a substantial 403b Account and additional investments of about $400k...Does it make sense to invest about $10k in Apple...

I am a huge fan of Apple, both the company and the products. If you study the numbers, they have excellent cash flow and earnings, and an unbelievable amount of cash on hand. I respectfully disagree with Fuskie and would be (and have been) a buyer of Apple here (adding to my now full position). I say that knowing that you are retiring in 18 months. My reasoning is that you have a substantial 403b as well as 400,000 in other investments. That means a 10,000 investment is pretty much chump change in relation to the size of your portfolio, and even if Apple took a major dive (say, when Jobs dies), it will recover. I also believe the passing of Jobs is pretty much baked into the stock at this point, though it might temporarily head south when that happens. I know the same thing will happen with my Berkshire shares when Buffett dies, but I also know the company is sound and will bounce back.

FWIW ...i agree (have many shares AAPL and Holding, retired 7yrs now)

but -- i read OP as having total 400k, so 10k might be high to start with.

and be prepared to deal with much volatility

Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 68722 of 75890
Subject: Re: Investment in Apple Date: 3/26/2011 11:36 PM
Recommendations: 2
lawrhs writes,

I'm a new member and retiring in about 18 months. I have a substantial 403b Account and additional investments of about $400k. I have been attracted by Apple for some time. Does it make sense to invest about $10k in Apple common given the fact that the share price has increased to a very high level now?

AAPL is the second largest company by market capitalization after Exxon. It makes up about 2.7% of the S&P 500.

If you have $400,000 in an index fund, you probably already own $10,000 worth of AAPL.

intercst

Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 68724 of 75890
Subject: Re: Investment in Apple Date: 3/27/2011 9:08 AM
I am going to assume you are asking "Will Apple continue to increase in price?". Probably for a while.

10K is about 2.5% of you funds - if I am correct you have a total of $400K.

There are few sayings about investing - and things get trait because they are repeated and generally correct. One such saying is Sell when you hear about a stock in Barber shops or elevators i.e. when the amateurs are interested it is getting dangerous. One example - in the late 90s I bought a stock name Uniphase and it did well. I invested about $10K and a few months later sold the stock, using the proceeds to buy a car. That stock topped out at over $1300 a share and fell to $13. Last time I looked is was $20.

If you are approaching retirement, I suggest you put your funds in a mutual fund that has an good, but not the best track record. MorningStar with 4 or 5 stars.

Gordon
Atlanta

Author: oceanbluela Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 68732 of 75890
Subject: Re: Investment in Apple Date: 3/27/2011 4:47 PM
I have a substantial 403b Account and additional investments of about $400k.

Hmmm. I read this as having a substantial 403b Account plus additional investments of about 400,000.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement