UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: LoriOne Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35400  
Subject: Investment Offered Date: 3/12/2001 8:33 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Several years ago someone had told me about an investment they made with a lump sum insurance
payment they received from their husband who was a policeman and died on duty from a heart attack.
This investment was allowed only once to an individual by the Federal Government, and you could double your money with it. Does anyone know what this investment is and if it is still being offered?
Thank you, Lori
Print the post Back To Top
Author: jrr7 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1379 of 35400
Subject: Re: Investment Offered Date: 3/12/2001 10:20 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Given just about any investment, you "could" double your money with it, given enough time. Or you "could" lose it all. Even a bank account paying 3% interest will double your money in around 23 years, with very low risk.

But since you said,
This investment was allowed only once to an individual by the Federal Government
That's an earmark of a scam. It's very rare that the feds allow you to do something once and only once.

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1380 of 35400
Subject: Re: Investment Offered Date: 3/12/2001 12:58 PM
If you had a death benefit coming from an insurance company, you could be offered a fixed annuity as an alternative. If you were looking for income, this could "double" the income compared to what you would get from investing the death benefit in something like CDs.

The trick of course is that the annuity is paying you back part of your investment with each payment and at the end of the contract nothing remains. While, if you live only on the interest from the death benefit, on your death, the full death benefit is still part of your estate.

In an annuity, the insurance company is offering service, guarantees and security of income, but for a significant fee. That is why, Fools believe you are best off to avoid annuities and invest your own funds.

Author: eslovick Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1381 of 35400
Subject: Re: Investment Offered Date: 3/12/2001 1:02 PM
I guess the real answer here is that there is no "double your money" immediately through some government plan that is going to make you a fortune overnight.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement