Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: vincoom Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 120801  
Subject: Investors from overseas Date: 12/18/1997 4:47 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I am not a US citizen nor a permanent resident and I am not ordinarily resident in the US. What is my tax position on dividends and capital gains from investing in US securities?

Any info would be appreciated.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFTaxes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 944 of 120801
Subject: Re: Investors from overseas Date: 12/18/1997 7:02 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
<<I am not a US citizen nor a permanent resident and I am not ordinarily resident in the US. What is
my tax position on dividends and capital gains from investing in US securities?

Any info would be appreciated.>>

If you are neither a US citizen nor resident, you will generally pay a flat 30% tax (or less, if your home country and the US has a tax treaty that stipulates a lesser rate) on any interest or dividends paid by US companies. But you will not be assessed a tax on capital gains from the sale of equities.

For additional information, check out IRS Publication 519 "Tax Guide for Aliens" for additional information. You can also check out IRS Pub 901 for tax treaty information. You can read/download these publication from the IRS web site: http://www.irs.ustreas.gov

Hope this helps..
TMF Taxes
Roy

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement