Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: philkessel Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 615  
Subject: IOS 6.0, battery-killer!!! Date: 9/26/2012 6:26 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I took new upgrade recently, luv what it adds but it's a severe battery killer...

last night I charged it before bed around 10pm to 100%...
this morning at 6am it was in the red zone...

any suggestions would be appreciated!!!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: kenm47 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 604 of 615
Subject: Re: IOS 6.0, battery-killer!!! Date: 9/26/2012 7:34 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
My wife on her iPhone "4" finds the same thing. My "4" (older and bigger memory) not so much.

Ken

Author: wecoguy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 605 of 615
Subject: Re: IOS 6.0, battery-killer!!! Date: 9/26/2012 1:24 PM
Take a look at what apps you have running. If you aren't using BT, shut it off, same with wifi, another little bit... But what I've seen to be the biggest gobblers are games, graphics, so I've just gotten in the habit of double Home tapping, then holding, closing down all the apps.. Mail, FB will still get the message, the rest, just not needed to be on all the time.. What I'd like, is an app that would close all open apps, one stop shopping!

Author: Follydolly Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 606 of 615
Subject: Re: IOS 6.0, battery-killer!!! Date: 10/7/2012 10:58 AM
I have had my iPhone4s for about a year. I upgraded to iOS6 and noticed that I can barely keep the battery charged! My usage is mainly looking at emails, answering a few messages and listening to music/audiobooks. I don't do a lot of video/YouTube/games. In fact none at all lately.

Does anyone know what Apple considers enough battery loss to make a replacement?

The iPhone charged all night and battery only charged to 93%. So it is not getting a full charge.

Unplugged, charge drops quickly. When in the car, I use the USB charger. I noticed that the battery is not charging like it used to in the car, in fact barely at all.

I don't want to make the drive to the Genius Bar only to be told that I have to wait for the battery to be dead before a replacement will be made.

Thanks,

Birgit

Author: Follydolly Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 607 of 615
Subject: Re: IOS 6.0, battery-killer!!! Date: 10/7/2012 11:00 AM
Take a look at what apps you have running. If you aren't using BT, shut it off, same with wifi, another little bit... But what I've seen to be the biggest gobblers are games, graphics, so I've just gotten in the habit of double Home tapping, then holding, closing down all the apps.. Mail, FB will still get the message, the rest, just not needed to be on all the time.. What I'd like, is an app that would close all open apps, one stop shopping

I am reading a lot of complaints about battery draining after upgrade to iOS6 with the iPhone4s. I normally don't pay too much attention to these types of complaints, but since it is now happening to my iPhone, I believe them! Turning of BT and WiFi...I can just get a cheapy phone.

Birgit

Author: kenm47 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 608 of 615
Subject: Re: IOS 6.0, battery-killer!!! Date: 10/7/2012 11:57 AM
Look for other tips. Keep wifi but see if you really need cellular "On" for iTunes, iCloud, Passbook, and turn Data Roaming off.

Check other tips on the net, like:

http://www.zdnet.com/ios-6-battery-saver-tips-for-the-iphone...

http://www.imore.com/how-fix-battery-life-problems-ios-6-or-...

Good luck

Ken

Author: QuickCarrera Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Global Fool Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool SN Olympia3 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 609 of 615
Subject: Re: IOS 6.0, battery-killer!!! Date: 10/7/2012 12:29 PM
Hmm, I ran IOS 6 from the day it was released on my 4S up until I got my iPhone 5 last week. The 4S battery seemed fine on mine running all of the services all the time except roaming. I put it in airplane mode at night.

Partial charging overnight is not normal, of course. Have you tried to reboot your 4S (hold down the home and sleep buttons at the same time until you see the "Apple"—several seconds)?

Bill

Author: Follydolly Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 610 of 615
Subject: Re: IOS 6.0, battery-killer!!! Date: 10/7/2012 3:37 PM
Have you tried to reboot your 4S

I have rebooted often. I have left it turned off overnight. The phone is finally up to 100% charge as of 1 p.m...it has been charging since last night. Now I will keep track of how long it keeps the charge just sitting. Then I will need to check on how long with usage. I just know that it does not charge well with the car USB anymore and I often find the battery in the red.

Did not used to happen.

Birgit

Author: ItsGoingUp Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 611 of 615
Subject: Re: IOS 6.0, battery-killer!!! Date: 10/7/2012 3:58 PM
Obviously something is wrong. Sometimes weird stuff can happen during upgrades. The simplest way to fix this is to do a Restore in iTunes -- that reloads everything fresh (including the firmware and iOS).

I wasn't having a battery problem with my 4S that I'd upgraded to iOS 6, but I'd seen some small glitches I was unhappy with. The Restore fixed them. So, no guarantees for your issue, but I think it has the best chance of fixing the problem without actually having to track down the cause.

Good luck!

-IGU-
(BTW, this board is dead and few people read it any more, so you probably want to ask about this on the iOS board)

Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 612 of 615
Subject: Re: IOS 6.0, battery-killer!!! Date: 10/7/2012 4:00 PM
Recommendations: 1
That rate of discharge has nothing to do with iOS6.

Us a little common sense - if you slept until 8AM, that would be 10 hours of standby. Apple talks about 200 hours or more of standby.

The most likely cause is a corrupted file. Open iTunes, connect with a wire. Before a Restore (no need to backup, cause you are not going to want to pull a corrupted file from your backup), when given the option to pick a backup, say no and choose factory settings.

This will take some serious amounts of time and you will have to manually move all contacts, emails, etc. over to your iPhone. Additionally you will have to download a fresh all apps, reset manually all settings, etc.

Gordon
Atlanta

Author: ItsGoingUp Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 613 of 615
Subject: Re: IOS 6.0, battery-killer!!! Date: 10/7/2012 5:21 PM
Recommendations: 3
TwoCybers writes:
Before a Restore (no need to backup, cause you are not going to want to pull a corrupted file from your backup), when given the option to pick a backup, say no and choose factory settings....

No, don't do it this way. It turns a little deal into a big deal. Back up your settings when it asks and do a Restore. After restoring the OS it will ask if you want it to put everything back on your phone. Say yes. Consider saying no the next time and doing it all by hand only if the simpler approach doesn't work.

-IGU-

Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 614 of 615
Subject: Re: IOS 6.0, battery-killer!!! Date: 10/7/2012 7:52 PM
Since the OP made such a stupid, arrogant statement, I gave him the official Apple solution.

Your method will work if and only if the offending, corrupted piece of software happens to be in the OS. If the problem is not with the OS, than it is necessary to perform a clean install. (On another board today, I actually made that distinction in dealing with the same problem.)

Gordon
Atlanta

Author: Follydolly Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 615 of 615
Subject: Re: IOS 6.0, battery-killer!!! Date: 10/7/2012 9:44 PM
Recommendations: 1
Thanks both! I will try the easy peasy reset first, but I have saved Gordon's instructions should I need them.

Right now I am keeping an eye on the usage.

Birgit

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement