No. of Recommendations: 1
IP
Well keep us posted on how that goes. We have a minimum of 12 months to go...more if this house doesn't sell quickly. I don't want to stop work income with this place on our backs.

Will do. From a strict asset base POV, DW and I could have FIRE'd in February. However, we have several issues going on that I did not expect.

1) Sooner than expected FIRE hit date with one kid in college still. I had not planned for her to be on my insurances etc... I was going to FIRE after all kids were off the payroll no sooner than age 54. (I'm 52 now).

2) Expected home to be paid off by FIRE date as well. Not quite there. But it won't matter that much since we will just sell and downsize to a debt free home.

3) Low interest rate environment. How that affects me is unique to the SEP 72(t) rules. The vast amount of my assets is in IRA/401k TIRA's and will be relying on distributions from them solely. I'm going to let my much smaller investments in Roth and taxable accounts continue to grow without touching them. Because of the IRS rules on the method that I was going to use is based on the prevailing interest rates, I cannot draw what I wanted to. I'm currently exploring other ways to come up with a supplement to overcome that. I have a few good ideas.

I can't help but think of Hocus when it comes to CD ladders. At today's pitiful rates, how would that keep you at all ahead? I did pretty well with Ibonds, but they are a PITA to purchase, and are at less than 2% right now for new buys. Fortunately, I got mine with a good base rate and am still at about 6%. The points on the credit card at time of purchase, something no longer available IIRC, was nice too. We have about two years of college costs saved up in them, with the ability to not pay tax on them if cashed in for college.

Nice. 6%. Hopefully, rates will move up again. This environment is not right for retirees. You can run an economy that benefits borrowers and punishes the savers for only so long.

Metal
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement