UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 886520  
Subject: iPad Accessories Date: 12/10/2012 11:18 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
My wife has a new iPad. I'm looking for accessories for Christmas. Any recommendations?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Rael137 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869458 of 886520
Subject: Re: iPad Accessories Date: 12/10/2012 11:38 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Does she have a Smart cover/case? I recently gave someone an IPad and got them the case (gives a little protection & anti-skid to the back). They can be personalized too.

If I had one I'd like a case with a physical keyboard...

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869459 of 886520
Subject: Re: iPad Accessories Date: 12/10/2012 11:38 PM
My wife has a new iPad. I'm looking for accessories for Christmas. Any recommendations?

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/06/tech/mobile/edible-iphone-case...

Also come in Strawberry & Raspberry
http://www.amazon.com/Strawberries-Raspberries-other-edible-...

Author: LOTROQueen Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869461 of 886520
Subject: Re: iPad Accessories Date: 12/11/2012 12:08 AM

A very nice case for it - like a Coach one

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869462 of 886520
Subject: Re: iPad Accessories Date: 12/11/2012 12:08 AM
Does she have a Smart cover/case?

Yes.

Author: TMFJeanie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869463 of 886520
Subject: Re: iPad Accessories Date: 12/11/2012 12:44 AM
Recommendations: 1
If your wife likes to play Words With Friends, Solitaire, or other such games, I find a stylus is a must-have. It's so much easier to move cards and pieces around the screen than using a finger (especially if I'm letting my nails grow).

The first ones we had ran about $12 each, but I just found a 4-pack on Amazon for $3.75. You can find them under Kindle Accessories, but they work just fine on the iPad, too.

Here's a link to the ones I just purchased:

http://tinyurl.com/bvd8tlc

Jeanie

Author: reallyalldone Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869464 of 886520
Subject: Re: iPad Accessories Date: 12/11/2012 7:07 AM
Recommendations: 2
The connector to an HDMI cord and a (cheap) HDMI cord. It gives the ability to watch movies from iTunes on a TV. Also the regular AUX cord to connect to cars and external speakers.

iTunes gift cards are nice, too (Kroger has gift card deals at times and save at least 5% at Target using their credit card)

Author: DHeavy Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869465 of 886520
Subject: Re: iPad Accessories Date: 12/11/2012 7:08 AM
Have you considered something from Victoria Secret?

http://www.victoriassecret.com/?cm_mmc=Google-_-Exact-_-Bran...

Enjoy,
DHeavy

Author: reallyalldone Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869475 of 886520
Subject: Re: iPad Accessories Date: 12/11/2012 9:56 AM
Recommendations: 5
That is a present for him, not her

Author: WendyBG Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869484 of 886520
Subject: Re: iPad Accessories Date: 12/11/2012 12:21 PM
Recommendations: 1
http://www.bookgem.com/order.htm

The Book Gem is a tiny, lightweight book stand that is inexpensive but really works. I use it for my Kindle as well as books. I think it would work well with an iPad so your wife can read at the table.

Wendy

Author: DHeavy Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869487 of 886520
Subject: Re: iPad Accessories Date: 12/11/2012 1:27 PM
That is a present for him, not her

How so? Victoria Secret has the cutest little Ipad cases that actually cover the entire Ipad believe it or not.

http://www.victoriassecret.com/pink/presents-please/ipad-cas...

DHeavy

Author: isewquilts2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869504 of 886520
Subject: Re: iPad Accessories Date: 12/11/2012 6:58 PM
I just got an iPad myself, two weeks ago. I purchased a bluetooth keyboard and case which I really like, and there are several different types of iPad cases depending on how accident-prone the user is. A screen cover is definitely necessary (I bought a ZAGG). If you have a big box electronics store nearby, browse the aisles--you will find lots of peripherals. An iTunes gift card will buy her the apps she wants.

Here is a link to accessories sold at Best Buy. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/iPad-Tablets/iPad-Accessories/pc...

isewquilts2

Author: Wessex99 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869508 of 886520
Subject: Re: iPad Accessories Date: 12/11/2012 7:52 PM
Wendy, thank you so much for that link. I'm getting a BookGem holder for myself for my Galaxy 10.1 and one each for my son and my daughter-in-law for their ipads.

I've got a standing book holder that I occasionally use for reading, which allows one of my cats to sit in my lap (otherwise they climb onto my chest in front of the book). It is an earlier, much more expensive at that time, version of one of these:

http://www.brookstone.com/levo-floor-stand-book-holder

The capabilities of the BookGem holder shown in the video at your link indicate that it will be very useful -- and at such an low price.

Wessex

Author: PolymerMom Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869510 of 886520
Subject: Re: iPad Accessories Date: 12/11/2012 9:16 PM
If its an iPad (newest model) w/ the "Lightning" connector and you have older iPod/iPad accessories, consider the adapter to allow using the 30-pin connector. Apple sells them for around $30, but other vendors are starting to sell them.

http://iphone5mod.com/shop/lightning-to-30-pin-adapter/

or, you can get an adapter w/ a cable for around $10.

http://www.amazon.com/Nanotch-iPhone-Lightning-30-Pin-Adapte...

Author: LQu Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869591 of 886520
Subject: Re: iPad Accessories Date: 12/15/2012 9:16 AM
Oberon Designs in CA makes some stunning handcrafted leather IPad covers, as well as other leather goods - Kindle/Nook/tablet covers, handbags, journal & book covers, wallets & more. Also pewter jewelery: http://oberondesign.com/ipad-covers/leather-ipad-covers.html...

Their craftsmanship is excellent. The quality of the leather is outstanding. Nice thick leather, yet still manages to feel lightweight for its size. The leather has a wonderful, soft, warm, buttery feel. Great "hand" <SURJ>. They offer several different drum-dyed colors (the colors go all the way thru) and stunning, hand-tooled, unique designs.

I have one of their handbags. Everything's top-notch. Reminds me of some of the good, riding leather pieces I have that have lasted for decades. It's not cheap, Chilean leather. It has that wonderful smell too. Takes me right back to the barn.

The only quibble I have is that I wish the interior came in a lighter color, even just a simple light grey. The black is a bit dark. But the liner is ballistic-nylon & strong. Nicely designed with several pockets.

Stunning leather, unique designs, cost less than a Coach (so more LBYM ;)), lots of visual impact and tactile quality. Tons of wow factor.

If it's important to you, a purchase from them also helps support a local artisan business.

I am debating on a splurge for a Kindle 3 cover and having it be my Christmas present this year. The only downside might be it's a tad heavier than some other Kindle cover options (it's 7.4 oz). But it would give a nice "book" feel to it.

Laura

Author: cabinsmama Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869594 of 886520
Subject: Re: iPad Accessories Date: 12/15/2012 10:57 AM
May I ask which size handbag you have, and if it holds an iPad? That's a very impressive, tempting site!

It scares me a little to think about ordering a bag without "trying it on" for length, size, etc. but they look wonderful, and the organizational style of the totes seem awesome.

cm

Author: LQu Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869598 of 886520
Subject: Re: iPad Accessories Date: 12/15/2012 3:22 PM
Recommendations: 2
May I ask which size handbag you have, and if it holds an iPad? That's a very impressive, tempting site!

It is, isn't it? :)

I have the Retro Cross Body Handbag style:
http://oberondesign.com/oberon-accessories/handbags.html

I think the bags run slightly smaller in person that what they look like from photos, or even gauging from the dimensions given. When I look at mine in person, it looks shorter, and slightly wider once it's filled, than the look you get from one of the larger screen-shots of it.

The Cross Body is good if you're looking for a modestly-sized bag. Each side is just a little smaller than a sheet of paper. Bigger than a clutch, smaller than a tote.

It's big enough to hold a Kindle 3 Keyboard in a cover (either horizontally or vertically), my Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS5 camera in its carrying case, my little neoprene hand-wallet (about the same size as the Lumix cased, my sunglasses (hard-cased), reading glasses (hard-cased), an IPod Nano (cased), a small set of keys, a small hairbrush & a small bottle of hand lotion. A small makeup bag wouldn't fit when it has the above items in it. If I didn't carry the camera, it would. But a few makeup items can slide individually in the storage slots, if they're not bulky.

I carry my cell phone clipped to the outside (or to me), but you could easily slide it in one of the interior pockets. I prefer not to zip a bag open to answer it. The cased Kindle 3 fits perfectly inside the large interior pocket. Not a lot of extra room, but no struggle to get it in either.

But since my Kindle's cased, I find it just as easy to slide it in alongside the wallet/camera/glasses. All those all store vertically. If you carry a clutch-style wallet, the kind that can hold a checkbook and has a little change purse, that fits too, either horizontally or vertically. I experimented with my MILs.

I find there's not a lot of play in the interior storage slots, or room to shove a hand, especially once you put your items in the middle of the bag. The bag is structured, so you aren't going to make it squeeze out much wider when you fill it up. And it would look silly if you did, with lumpy sides. Three of the slots are "4-fingers-width", to give you an idea of the size. Two are 3-fingers width. There are also Kindle-width slots with velcro closures on each side of the bag.

I find I can put my reading glass case in a 3-finger slot. But I prefer the way they stack vertically in the middle. I use a slot for the IPod Nano. Actually, the bigger one, the logistics just work out better that way. Another holds my little rubber, squeeze-type coin pouch. The other 3 smaller slots hold frequent shopper cards, gift cards, business cards, etc. They're also good for a few smaller or thin items that you can insert vertically - a lip gloss, mascara, comb, etc.

My chunky sunglasses case doesn't fit well in the slots - well, it fits, but it just makes the interior bulge awkwardly. It works fine vertically in the larger, open middle area.

I think I am going to use the larger slots with velcro for papers and receipts. I can't see them working for bulky objects. A standard envelope for an 8 1/2" x 11" sheet of paper fits well. Size-wise, they're about the size of a half-sheet of paper. If you like putting your receipts in an envelope, they'll work well for that.

It's a moderate size if you want to carry "enough" but not the kitchen sink. If your style is to just toss things in a bag, and you have more than a couple of things, you might not like it. If you like structure and putting things in their place, with a more minimalist size, it works great for that.

Obviously, if you don't carry a camera and 2 sets of cased glasses, you'll have room for another assortment of items. The bag probably works best if you like to keep your smaller items cased, since it's modest size doesn't let you rummage around easily like a "hobo-style" bag.

If you need to carry a few papers from work, it has a little room but not a lot. I have several sheets folded in half from my last job. They fit alongside the Kindle. I don't think I'll use the large storage slots for them. The width of the bag, and the zipper opening, make that very awkward to access with a handful of papers.

The shoulder strap lets the bag fall between your hip and upper thigh, a comfortable distance. It has 1 hole shorter and 2 longer from there. At the longest, it works for cross-body, keeping that same hip/thigh distance. I decided to go with that style, so I could use it in Europe as a cross-body, if I wanted to when traveling. The Streamlined and the Tote have the double-handles.

Speaking of travel, the larger pockets with velcro work for holding a passport or boarding pass. You can fit the passport in one of the 4-finger slots too, but it sticks up a bit, as they don't go as deeply down the bag as the larger pockets. Maybe easier to access, but more visible too. I can see the top of the passport in the larger pocket & pull it out, but it's more discreetly out-of-sight, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

If you travel with a magazine, you are not going to be able to fold it in half & stuff it in this bag.

AFA comparing the size to some of their other bags, I'd say the Streamlined is going to be a bit bigger than the Retro. But not scads bigger. The height is virtually the same (8.5" vs 9"), but it's wider (14" vs 10"top/11.5"bottom for Retro). Just a hair deeper (3.75" vs 3.5"). I suspect it might give that little extra rummage room that the Retro doesn't have. It also looks a little less structured. The Retro stands upright on its own very easily, because of the way the side-panel is structured & stitched in, giving it its width. The Streamlined is sewn onto itself, which seems like it would be softer or slouchier. But it won't be a "slouch" bag per se, as the leather is fairly firm, if that makes sense.

AFA your IPad, the standard IPad is 2" taller and 2.5" wider than the Kindle Keyboard (assuming you don't have the mini). The width is no problem in the horizontal position. But, hmmm....I think the height might make for a tight fit, working it past the zipper. When my cased Kindle's in the bag, I have about 3-fingers width of space extra. That's just over 2". It's "ok" maneuvering the Kindle into it horizontally past the zipper and into the bag (even easier vertically), but that extra 2" of the IPad would make for a very fiddly, tight squeeze at the best, I think. If I have those dimensions right, it would fit in the Streamlined (or Tote) much better.

MIL has had an eye on the bag, since I experimented with her wallet <lol>. She thinks its stunning. It might end up being her birthday present, since that's coming up next month :). I know she likes to carry just a few items in her purse, especially when she goes to Portugal. So the size would work for her. And she loves the ornate design.

HTH,

Laura

Author: LQu Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869600 of 886520
Subject: Re: iPad Accessories Date: 12/15/2012 6:54 PM
it's modest size...ACK...OCD...it's ITS not it's.

Laura
inadvertent apostrophe abuser

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement