Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TMFSelena Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2767  
Subject: iPad games Date: 6/20/2012 6:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/19/the-10-best-ipad-boar...

:)
Print the post Back To Top
Author: NaggingFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2705 of 2767
Subject: Re: iPad games Date: 6/20/2012 10:35 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
We spend a lot of time on Ascension and Ticket to Ride on the ipad.

- Megan

Author: Rimpynths Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2706 of 2767
Subject: Re: iPad games Date: 6/21/2012 12:41 PM
Recommendations: 2
I have a few of these iPad games, including the #1 game, Caylus. I really like the board game, but I'm not crazy about the iPad version. It's well done, looks great, but I think it would be pretty confusing for a new player because the rules aren't explained very well. If I played the iPad version first, I think it would turn me off from buying the physical version. But having played the physical version first, it's nice to have the iPad to play some quick games against AI opponents (which are decent).

That's my fear with buying some of these iPad games: I may get turned off by games that I would otherwise enjoy if they don't capture the tension of the physical game very well. That's the pro/con of iPad games against AI opponents. The pro is that the AI turns go by quick so that’s there no waiting. The con is that the AI turns go by quick so you don’t really appreciate the tense decision making that goes on. I also tend to play a lot more sloppy games when I know I can finish it in 10-15 minutes and start a new one.

Speaking of Caylus, my group has recently been playing Lords of Waterdeep. I mention it because it reminds me a lot of Caylus, but the theme is better done and I think they've improved some of the Caylus mechanics. In fact, they are similar enough that if someone I knew was interested in buying Caylus, I would probably point them towards Lords of Waterdeep as a slightly better implementation.

Rimpy

Author: TMFMileHigh Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Supernova Odyssey 1
Mission Team Member Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2714 of 2767
Subject: Re: iPad games Date: 8/3/2012 8:53 AM
Recommendations: 1
Selena,

I found this follow-up really interesting fr what it says about Android support for board game conversions:

http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/ticket-to-r...

Between this review and what I've seen of the game on the new "Tabletop" web show, I'm hungering for a copy of Ticket to Ride :-)

That, and an iPad. The comics apps on my Samsung are good, but the iPad's brilliant screen make it a hands-down winner, IMHO.

FWIW,

Tim
--

TMFMileHigh
Rule Breakers Analyst, Supernova Odyssey I Portfolio Contributor
w: http://timbeyers.me
Follow @TMFRuleBreakers on Twitter!

Author: TMFSelena Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2716 of 2767
Subject: Re: iPad games Date: 8/13/2012 3:29 PM
Recommendations: 0
Hey, Tim --

I added Ticket to Ride to my mom's iPad and now I'm fighting my 10-year-old nieces for it. Very fun. (I already liked the cardboard version of the game.)

Interesting, the Android details...

Selena

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement