UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: tketola Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 189945  
Subject: iPad question,,,, Date: 1/10/2013 8:30 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
OK, I have a question for the Board, re: 10" IPad Tablet!

I don't really know much of anything about iPads!

So, an elderly(in his mid 80's) friend of mine stopped by and asked me to look at his 10" iPad. The problem was that it would not connect to any WiFi Access Point.

He acquired the iPad from his grandson as a gift, who had just purchased a new one. The grandson had cleaned it of any personal info/data!!!

So, on the surface, the iPad appears to be functioning normally or OK. However, when trying to connect to a Known/Functioning Router/Access-Point, with full-Strength Signal, (an AP that we can connect to with other Laptops, Kindles, Android-Tablets, just fine), it will not connect.

So, after selecting the Access-Point and after entering the prompted for Password, about 2 seconds later the response is

"Cannot Join the Network"

The response is the same regardless of the Access-Point we try, with a good or a bad Password!!!

So, I am wondering, what the problem might be, what am I missing here???

Also, could it be that the grandson cleaned out a little too much stuff, like some required files???

And also, if and how can the iPad be restored back to original Factory Condition???

TIA, for any help!!!

TK...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: kenm47 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183292 of 189945
Subject: Re: iPad question,,,, Date: 1/10/2013 8:34 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I suggest you post your question at the board for:

"iOS help: iPhone iPad iPod touch"

http://boards.fool.com/greetings-fool-28617308.aspx

Ken

Author: tketola Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183294 of 189945
Subject: Re: iPad question,,,, Date: 1/10/2013 8:49 AM
Thanks for the Link Ken,,,

TK...

Author: TheDrake2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183324 of 189945
Subject: Re: iPad question,,,, Date: 1/11/2013 3:08 PM
Look at the Wifi settings (Settings/Wifi/blue arrow next to listed networks), under HTTP Proxy at the bottom, make sure it's not trying to connect to a Manual or Auto Proxy. Most Wifi networks have no proxy (off).

At some point my old iPhone 3GS started doing this for all networks, not sure why.

Cheers,
The Drake

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183356 of 189945
Subject: Re: iPad question,,,, Date: 1/13/2013 6:24 PM
Look at the Wifi settings (Settings/Wifi/blue arrow next to listed networks), under HTTP Proxy at the bottom, make sure it's not trying to connect to a Manual or Auto Proxy. Most Wifi networks have no proxy (off).

Actually, most wifi hotspots are working proxy servers. So are most ethernet routers designed for home use. (The large majority of them come pre-configured to appear, to their attached devices, to have address 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 - and addresses that are *not* behind proxy servers have to be globally unique.) It's just that they've made proxy servers good enough that they are normally invisible to the clients; only under special circumstances does the client need to know that there's a proxy server.

(The only special circumstance I am aware of is when there are two proxy servers with different public-side IP addresses doing load-balancing, and you want to access a website that objects to you changing IP addresses in mid-session - like a lot of financial-institution websites do. But there may be others.)

In fact I occasionally am accessing the internet through a stack of no less than three proxy servers. It just works.

If you have internet access, and your IP address begins with any of - 10. ; 172.16. through 172.31. ; 192.168. - then you definitely are using at least one proxy server. Even if your device has no knowledge of it.

Author: TheDrake2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183423 of 189945
Subject: Re: iPad question,,,, Date: 1/18/2013 2:29 PM
I was just providing a solution that works. Turning off your proxy connection in iOS allowed my iPhone 3GS to connect to every wi-fi network it encountered.

The Drake.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement