UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: richinaz Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 65637  
Subject: iphone keypad vanishing Date: 12/31/2012 2:15 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have an older iphone (I believe it is an iPhone 3) from July 2010. At times when I am on the phone I need to enter in data via the keypad (i.e., when dealing with automated answering systems) so I move the phone from my ear, press the keypad button and start entering the digits.

The problem is that the key pad will vanish at times so I have to press the keypad button again but in the meantime either the system times out or I miss type an entry.

Is there a way to prevent this? Is it detecting some motion when I am holding it and for some reason triggers the keypad to shut off?

It happens often enough to be annoying.

Similar to https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3697254?start=0&tst...
which didn't contain a useful solution.

Thanks
Rich
Print the post Back To Top
Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61837 of 65637
Subject: Re: iphone keypad vanishing Date: 12/31/2012 4:21 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I have an older iphone (I believe it is an iPhone 3) from July 2010. At times when I am on the phone I need to enter in data via the keypad (i.e., when dealing with automated answering systems) so I move the phone from my ear, press the keypad button and start entering the digits.

The problem is that the key pad will vanish at times so I have to press the keypad button again but in the meantime either the system times out or I miss type an entry.

Is there a way to prevent this? Is it detecting some motion when I am holding it and for some reason triggers the keypad to shut off?

hoping there's an answer ...i see the same thing and it's incredibly annoying. (see it sometimes in an app or two)

does *seem* a bit better on 4s than 3
... maybe a bit better with latest iOS version

Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61838 of 65637
Subject: Re: iphone keypad vanishing Date: 12/31/2012 5:19 PM
If what I understand is happening, the answer is no.

Apple (and I expect of smart phone OSs) "know" when the phone is next to your ear. Since the screen is the largest single power drain on a cell phone, when the phone is at your ear, the screen is off. This function is not going to go away. One option if you really can't do any thing else is increase your power drain rate even more -- change to a speaker phone.

Gordon
Atlanta

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61839 of 65637
Subject: Re: iphone keypad vanishing Date: 12/31/2012 6:04 PM
Apple (and I expect of smart phone OSs) "know" when the phone is next to your ear. Since the screen is the largest single power drain on a cell phone, when the phone is at your ear, the screen is off. This function is not going to go away. One option if you really can't do any thing else is increase your power drain rate even more -- change to a speaker phone.

for me, it's WHEN it's in speaker-phone and in my hand, not next to my ear

/>:

Author: richinaz Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61840 of 65637
Subject: Re: iphone keypad vanishing Date: 1/1/2013 10:08 AM

for me, it's WHEN it's in speaker-phone and in my hand, not next to my ear

Ditto.

At first you are holding it as a phone next to your ear but when the system asks you to enter information obviously you move it from your ear to in front of your eyes so you can try and enter your password/account number/etc. option.

I can often enter a digit or two then the screen vanishes and sometimes reappears. I was wondering whether it is how I'm holding it, inadvertently making some gesture that the phone recognizes, etc.

Rich

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61842 of 65637
Subject: Re: iphone keypad vanishing Date: 1/1/2013 12:09 PM
ditto

though for me, it's only the right hand
side (3,6,9) that's a problem

Author: Follydolly Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61933 of 65637
Subject: Re: iphone keypad vanishing Date: 1/7/2013 11:46 PM
For another option, I rarely hold my phone by my ear...I almost always use the speaker and hold the phone in front of me. And then I have no problems with the key board.

Of course, if you need privacy you don't want the speaker phone.

Birgit

Author: tedhimself Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61934 of 65637
Subject: Re: iphone keypad vanishing Date: 1/8/2013 12:31 PM
And if I'm near someone in a public place, I don't want to listen to both sides of their conversation either. This is not aimed an any one person it's just that courtesy seem to have gone away in everyday life.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement