UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Follydolly Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 65699  
Subject: iPhone4s Battery? Date: 10/7/2012 10:44 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have had my iPhone4s for about a year. This week I noticed that I can barely keep the battery charged! My usage is mainly looking at emails, answering a few messages and listening to music/audiobooks. I don't do a lot of video/YouTube/games. In fact none at all lately.

Does anyone know what Apple considers enough battery loss to make a replacement?

The iPhone charged all night and battery is at 93%. Unplugged, charge drops quickly. When in the car, I use the USB charger. I noticed that the battery is not charging like it used to in the car.

I don't want to make the drive to the Genius Bar only to be told that I have to wait for the battery to be dead before a replacement will be made.

Thanks,

Birgit
Print the post Back To Top
Author: spinning Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61050 of 65699
Subject: Re: iPhone4s Battery? Date: 10/7/2012 10:57 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Take a look at http://www.apple.com/batteries/replacements.html

"iPhone Owners
Your one-year warranty includes replacement coverage for a defective battery. You can extend your coverage to two years from the date of your iPhone purchase with the AppleCare Protection Plan for iPhone. During the plan’s coverage period, Apple will replace the battery if it drops below 50% of its original capacity. If it is out of warranty, Apple offers a battery replacement for $79, plus $6.95 shipping, subject to local tax. Apple disposes of your battery in an environmentally friendly manner."

Author: Follydolly Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61051 of 65699
Subject: Re: iPhone4s Battery? Date: 10/7/2012 11:33 AM
Apple will replace the battery if it drops below 50% of its original capacity.

I have AppleCare on the iPhone. This battery problem occurred after I upgraded to iOS6...shoulda said that. Just what would 50% drop mean exactly? It will only charge to 50%? It charged to 93%. It will only last 2.5 hours? Not sure just how to judge if a replacement would be made.

Thanks, Birgit

Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61054 of 65699
Subject: Re: iPhone4s Battery? Date: 10/7/2012 3:22 PM
You can certainly have a bad battery. But you can also have a software problem on our iPhone which will use power very, very rapidly. I had such an issue.

Here is the diagnostic I was give by Apple -

Open up Settings; Click on General; Click on Usage
Scroll down until you find the section named "Time since last full charge" If the "Usage" and "Standby" times are the same (and not zero), then you have an Application that has go crazy.

At that point, Apple will tell you to do a Restore to the Factory new condition and to manually download and re-install everything. This is a PITA because you will get nothing form any backup. All Application must come fresh from Apple. All your Photos, Podcasts, etc through iTunes from your PC. Of course you get to re-enter all your email mail passwords and perhaps your mail servers -- it just depends on whether or not your particular email accounts will transport over via iTunes.

If you are lucky (and I was), just a "Restore" from the most recent backup will solve the problem.

Gordon
Atlanta

Author: Follydolly Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61057 of 65699
Subject: Re: iPhone4s Battery? Date: 10/7/2012 7:23 PM
Thanks Gordon, that was very helpful!

According to my usage, I have 6.5 hrs standby & 50 minutes usage. I disconnected from charge at 1pm.  Have made no calls, listened to music.  Just checked mail & FB.

Birgit

Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61059 of 65699
Subject: Re: iPhone4s Battery? Date: 10/7/2012 8:01 PM
OK Birgit - that means your issue is not related to corrupted software. There are a number of potential things. I don't know if LTE shows up in your Settings - your iPhone does not have an LTE chip, so turn it off if it is on. Beyond that download and read the manual. There are several suggestions on extending battery life. The obvious ones are reset brightness to between 50% and 60% on the slider. Turn on Auto Brightness. Set your AutoLock to 2 minutes or less. When you finish using your iPhone, press the Off button on the top to turn off the screen.

The screen is a huge power user. You may now know this, but the iPhone charger has an output of 5 watts and the iPad charger 10 watts. Even though all indications say otherwise, if you turn off an iPad and connect it to the 5 watt charger it will charge up an iPad - just take a long time. But if you turn the screen of an iPad on while it is connected to a 5 watt charger, you can see buy battery readings the screen is sucking out more just than the iPhone (5 watt) charger can provide.

Gordon
Atlanta

Author: Follydolly Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61060 of 65699
Subject: Re: iPhone4s Battery? Date: 10/7/2012 10:52 PM
Can I use the 10 watt iPad charger with an iPhone?

Birgit

Author: nml Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61062 of 65699
Subject: Re: iPhone4s Battery? Date: 10/8/2012 12:23 AM

Absolutely

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC359LL/A/apple-ipad-10w-u...

It's compatible.

Mick

Author: Follydolly Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61064 of 65699
Subject: Re: iPhone4s Battery? Date: 10/8/2012 10:15 AM
<Absolutely

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC359LL/A/apple-ipad-10w-u......

It's compatible.

Mick

Oh good...because I did and I wondered if that caused a problem.

OTHO...I now have usage at 1hr/40min and standby at 21hrs/22min!!! That is a big change for the better. I will find out more when I connect to my car USB..but at this point, the problem seems to have abated.

Thanks, Birgit

Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61065 of 65699
Subject: Re: iPhone4s Battery? Date: 10/8/2012 10:38 AM

You sure can - it will not charge the iPhone any faster than the iPhone charger, but it works.

Before my iPhone 5 (which uses a different cable), I used only one charger. Plugged my iPhone in at night to charge and my iPad in during the day. (The major use for my iPad at home is reading in bed.)

Gordon
Atlanta

Author: spinning Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61066 of 65699
Subject: Re: iPhone4s Battery? Date: 10/8/2012 3:16 PM
Recommendations: 2
Apple will replace the battery if it drops below 50% of its original capacity.

I have AppleCare on the iPhone. This battery problem occurred after I upgraded to iOS6...shoulda said that. Just what would 50% drop mean exactly?

I am guessing it refers to the charge the battery can hold. Over time, the charge that batteries hold declines. Apple is saying that if the maximum charge goes below 50% of the original amount while the phone is under warrantee they will replace it.

I could not find any apps for the iPhone that shows how much charge the battery holds. I did find sites that said that a genius could quickly test it at an Apple store. So if you suspect your battery is not holding the charge that it should, you could take it in and have it tested.

For laptops, you can monitor your battery with coconutbattery (http://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/) My 3.5 year old MacBook Pro battery, for example, shows 86% capacity (3965 mAh current capacity vs. 4600 mAh design capacity).

Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61067 of 65699
Subject: Re: iPhone4s Battery? Date: 10/8/2012 3:36 PM
Recommendations: 2
This
A properly maintained iPhone battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 400 full charge and discharge cycles. You may choose to replace your battery when it no longer holds sufficient charge to meet your needs.
is found at http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

This
Your one-year warranty includes replacement coverage for a defective battery. You can extend your coverage to two years from the date of your iPhone purchase with the AppleCare Protection Plan for iPhone. During the plan’s coverage period, Apple will replace the battery if it drops below 50% of its original capacity. If it is out of warranty, Apple offers a battery replacement for $79, plus $6.95 shipping, subject to local tax. Apple disposes of your battery in an environmentally friendly manner.
is found at http://www.apple.com/batteries/replacements.html

Apple has software in the iPhone that can "read" the number of cycles and the current charge state and the maximum charge. I suspect this is similar to the software found on MacBooks. For example the iStat widget on my MBP shows Battery Health 98%; Cycles 18; Charge 96% and the "State" as Charged.

I take those readings on my MacBook to mean, my battery is fully charged (it should be - I leave it plugged in), the battery has a full charge capacity equal to 96% of some spec/standard (which I assume to be the new battery) and 98% for "Health" means it is not in bad condition.

Coconut Battery Charge shows similar information including a current total battery capacity of 6339 mAh which happens to be 97.5% of the original battery capacity of 6500 mAh.

I have taken iPhones to a local Apple Store and had the genius plug a cord into it and read stuff on his screen. He saw among other things a cycle number and a charge value. In one case a genius pronounced the battery as sick and the number of cycles as low. At that point he asked if I was fully backed up. I said yes. He got a new iPhone and we swapped.

HTH

Gordon
Atlanta

Author: nole62 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61069 of 65699
Subject: Re: iPhone4s Battery? Date: 10/8/2012 6:30 PM
I was having a problem with my phone and it's battery last week and I was reminded of the "close all open apps running in the background" trick. Quickly double click on the "home" button on your phone and a lot of icons will appear. Tap one and "-" will appear in the upper left-hand-corner of the icons. Tap each one and close them. You can open them anytime you need them. This really helps the charge time and the battery time also.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement